Do they need heat? PICS ADDED!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ma2babygurl13, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    My chicks are about 4 1/2 weeks old. They will be being moved to a rabbit hutch that has been converted into a chicken hut. There will be pine shavings on the floor and and "house" that is fully enclosed the "run" part of it is enclosed on 2 of 4 sides. It will be inside a barn, the tack area part of it. We have access to electric, but prefer not to use a lamp if it isn't needed. It has been getting down to about 30F here at night. They are Mixed Laying chickens (LF) and Guinea Keets. Would they we Ok with out a heat lamp? What about Silkie/Showgirl (10 total) Chicks the same age? The house is about 1'X1.5', the run is about 1.5'X3' The LF chicks and Guineas will be in the same hutch, and the Showgirl/Silkie Chicks will be in the same hutch, but not w/ the LF and guineas.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    At that age and that temp, they're going to need heat. They're NOT fully feathered.

3. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Here are some pictures I just took so you can know what they look like feather wise....they appear to be fully feathered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Guinea Keets will really need it.

5. peachesdeese

peachesdeese Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Pretty babies! I would give them some heat!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    With temps like that and such young chicks and keets, I'd definitely give them some heat source for a few more weeks. You may not need a full-fledged heat lamp, a regular bulb in the reflector socket is probably enough, depending on how much airflow there is. Better safe than sorry. [​IMG]

7. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    OK [​IMG] I have a 60watt flood light would this be good? Or do you think it is too much? They aren't under a light inside my house right now... and seem to be fine... I took the light off them last week because they seemed to be trying to get away from it they were always on the "cool" side and very spread out.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Going from a 70 degree house to 30 degrees outside can be very stressful on young ones, even if they are fully feathered. The purpose of the heat is to reduce that stress, so they don't succumb to disease/illness. Also, if they huddle due to being so cold, someone could get smothered unintentionally. Better to be safe, than sorry.

9. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    So do you think a 60 watt flood light will be enough/too much? Then should I just slowly back the light up week by week, just like inside to accommodate them to the cold as they grow?

10. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Quote:I understand that... I just need to know if they are used to being about 65F inside what strength of bulb do I need to provide adequate heat? The room they will be in has no wind whatsoever. But will have good air exchange for "fresh" air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by