Do they need heat??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stjemmes, Nov 1, 2011.

1. stjemmes

stjemmes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Here is my post from earlier to you give you an idea of what I am dealing with-

My hen lost her BFF a few months ago and has been living by herself every since. She is very tame and thinks she is a dog most of the time. Anyway my husband brought home five 3wk old chicks last night from his bosses. We kept the chicks in a medium size cage last night with a standard house lamp on them inside the semi climate controlled garage. This morning I moved the cage to the hen yard/coop area. My hen was curious and went right into the cage and ate/drank water with the chicks. I did see her a few time give small pecks to the chicks but nothing out of hand or what not. After leaving the chicks free to go in and out of the cage into the hen yard for a over an hour I decided to move the chicks into the coop to see what they would do and see what my hen would do. So my question is this- Is it safe to leave them there during the day and possibly tonight? How do I know if my hen will turn on them? I live in Milton Fl which is in North Florida and the temps are dropping at night. Do the chicks still need some sort of heat lamp at night?

So far everyone including my hen are happy little campers and getting along like no one new to the yard or coop. I lock my girl in everynight and the coop itself is 4x5 with 5 nesting boxes, hanging feeder, water and row of chick feeding station. The walls are wood and the roof is ribbed plastic roofing. The floor is made out of small gage chicken wire. ANYWAY as it stands the hen gets locked in every night and now I was wondering if I should lock the chicks in there with her and if I do I will not be able to add a lamp for heat. BUT if I take the 5 chicks out I can cage then in the somewhat climate controlled garage with a lamp. I did that last night and they really didn't hang out under the lamp. It was 68 in there last night.

The temp outside tonight will drop into the 50's

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they look warm, they don't need heat. But 3 weeks is a bit young with 50 deg temps. I'd give it two more weeks and then take the light out. Or as soon as their head fuzz disapears.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

I thought I answered in a previous post the same but here goes.

All the pecking is over in a a couple of minutes. The big girl just takes over. Going out in the day is a great way for them to get acclimated to your climate and temp variations and its great for them. At night I would bring them back in and put them back in the brooder box until you cant stand it any more. Mine finally drove me crazy after week 4 and we were in summer so out the went into the coop but we are in winter and if they have feathers enough like mine did [​IMG] ..... If you got them from a hatchery then week 1 85 degrees or so with room to get out of the heat. Week 2 lower temp to 80* and 5 degrees less each week until fully feathered but your in Florida. Im sure your smiling !! [​IMG] all year round except hurricane season WoW!! If you feel your babies are strong enough to go out put them out. Make sure there is lots of ventilation and have no real draft going on. I say another week or more Just saying [​IMG]

4. stjemmes

stjemmes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    THANKS for the advice!!!! I loaded them up and brought them back inside under the lamp for now. In the morning I will return them to the coop to be with the hen.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:There going to love you for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by