Do they need more protein?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alphagamchick, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    I posted this somewhere else and someone said maybe they need more protein. Looking for more info. My young roosters -20 weeks and younger pull out the hens feathers and eat them. Never remember this happening when I had chickens as a kid. I am feeding them grower food and just this week added some laying mash as I anticipate the oldest hens laying any day now. What do you think about the feather eating roo habit?

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been said many a time to add protein for feather eaters...but I've learned in the last year that giving sunflower seeds will help.

I give all my feather eaters Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSSS), with the hull on it. Almost all my "rescues" eat feathers when I get them...and BOSS has done the trick every time.

Now, if it has become a habit...you may have to separate the roo for a little bit to get it out of him....but just toss him some sunflower seeds and see if that fixes it.

3. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    SandraChick,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like an easy fix. Will give it a try. Wonder if it will curb those roos from picking on the hens a bit. They are teenagers-hope they settle down some.

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

well- those roos are hormone laden teenage boys....and we all know what that means....

poor girls!
    Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by