Do they need to be led by example???

horsewishr

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
West Michigan
My 20-week-old girls haven't started laying yet. I joked with my neighbor that I was going to borrow one of her older hens to teach mine what they're supposed to be doing. I was half serious. Do you suppose that pullets start laying sooner if they're exposed to more experienced hens?? Mine have never even LOOKED in the nest box.

It's so HARD being a impatient, finger-drumming, control freak. I'm gonna go squat in the nest myelf.

20 weeks is just a "suggestion" - could be longer - could be shorter. Just like all gals - they mature at their own rate.

Yeah, heavier breeds can take up to 6 months (24 weeks), while some even longer... ie silkies.
th.gif

I don't think an older hen will help them any except that she may lay an egg in a nest box so when the girls start laying, they might go lay where they see other eggs... although, new birds often are baffled at this laying thing and the first few might end up on the ground.

The stress from a new hen added to the flock would not be worth the trouble. Be patient and you will see plenty of eggs before long.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom