Do they need to be led by example???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Aug 28, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    My 20-week-old girls haven't started laying yet. I joked with my neighbor that I was going to borrow one of her older hens to teach mine what they're supposed to be doing. I was half serious. Do you suppose that pullets start laying sooner if they're exposed to more experienced hens?? Mine have never even LOOKED in the nest box.

It's so HARD being a impatient, finger-drumming, control freak. I'm gonna go squat in the nest myelf.

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    20 weeks is just a "suggestion" - could be longer - could be shorter. Just like all gals - they mature at their own rate.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For heavy breeds, isn't it more like 22 weeks, too?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, heavier breeds can take up to 6 months (24 weeks), while some even longer... ie silkies. [​IMG]

I don't think an older hen will help them any except that she may lay an egg in a nest box so when the girls start laying, they might go lay where they see other eggs... although, new birds often are baffled at this laying thing and the first few might end up on the ground.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The stress from a new hen added to the flock would not be worth the trouble. Be patient and you will see plenty of eggs before long.

bigzio

6. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I am getting anxious too! I can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by