Do they only lay eggs during the day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by porkchop48, Aug 4, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I have been checking on the new chickens every morning before work... not an egg to be found.

I come home in the after noon and find about 2 dozen. Do they not lay eggs at night?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Generally - no, they don't. Chickens do not see well in the dark, and do not get off the roost until daylight. Eggs laid at night are often smashed by the fall from roost.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    An egg laid at night is usually a mistake of some sort. The only time I've seen it, it has been soft shelled.

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My granny had 200 hens at all times and occasionally (once or twice a month) we would find one under the roost. They were always normal eggs though.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:My granny had 200 hens at all times and occasionally (once or twice a month) we would find one under the roost. They were always normal eggs though.

That's a whole lot more experience than I have! [​IMG]

Interesting.... I do find a good egg under the roost once in a while, but it's never been there at the first check of the day. In the end, chickens are such individuals, probably someone somewhere has one who lays at night regularly!

6. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Thank you guys.

I know these guys are probably still adjusting to the move and recoving from not being fed the greatest food, but just was not sure about the night time laying.

The lady had said she left a light on all night for them in the coop due to them being scared of the dark...They have no night time light at my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by