Do They Squat Forever???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Sep 15, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have 4 Australorp girls that are about to turn 7 months old. They are all laying now. And while they are super lap chickens and follow me around like puppy dogs. they hate to be picked up. But now that they are squatting for me, it makes it REALLY easy to pick them up. Normally they run from me when I want to pick them up.

So my question is, how long does the squatting last? I am loving the ease at which I can pick them up now that they do the "chicken squat". Please tell me it goes on forever!!! Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    We have six Aussie in our flock,along with Speckled Susses,Buff Brahmas and Welsumers. The Aussies are about 18 months old and they still squat for us. Maybe not as much as when they first started laying,but they do squat none the less. Squatting is the submissive posture a hen shows to her "rooster"(that's you!) and should continue as long as she lives. It almost seems they get sweeter as they get older but there is no doubt they want to be around you to the point they can make pests of themselves always being under foot!

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, they DO get under foot a lot! They crowd the fence gate when I am coming in with treats and coming running to see me when I am outside. I have one girl that insists that I get down on the ground so she can get on my lap EVERY time I go out to see them. Aussies are such sweet hearts. [​IMG]

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am new to chickens. I got my first hens (day old chicks) this past April. My sweet precious girls have not started to lay. They are very friendly Buff Orpingtons who love to follow us around and don't mind at all being carried and petted. I never knew about Squatting. I just learned something new! I look forward to my girls giving us our first eggs and also the squatting. How fun and exciting. I am delighted!!!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I am new to chickens. I got my first hens (day old chicks) this past April. My sweet precious girls have not started to lay. They are very friendly Buff Orpingtons who love to follow us around and don't mind at all being carried and petted. I never knew about Squatting. I just learned something new! I look forward to my girls giving us our first eggs and also the squatting. How fun and exciting. I am delighted!!!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

It is sooo exciting to get that first egg!! I am new to chickens also this year and there is nothing more egg-citing than going out to see your babies and they surprise you with an egg in the nest box!! Good luck!

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    One of my silkies squats all the time for me and I was wondering...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by