Do they stop laying when it's hot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nichole77, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I used to get about an egg a day but not recently. And other people with chickens have said that they don' t really lay in the summer. If they don't lay in the summer or when they molt then when do they lay?

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    When there is enough daylight AND they are not stressed.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Mine always lay great in summer. I guess that Arizona heat is probably stressing them though. I have heard of people freezing milk jugs and 2 liter bottles of water and putting them in coop to cool the chickens. They lay on or near them I assume. I have never tried it but it seems like it could help. Maybe you could step up your ventilation just a thought.

4. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Mine are very free range. I could not put them in a coop here. They have a house with a roof and sides like an ark. But free they can go under the trees or porch. They lay in the grass around the trees where it is long and cooler. I did put out frozen jugs.

5. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    I was getting about 25 eggs a day until this heat wave hit VA. Now I'm down to about 6 a day. Same thing happened last year. I do notice my cochins tend to lay better year 'round than my other birds.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I live in South Louisiana and mine have slowed down tremendously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by