Do too many eggs in the hatcher spoil the hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Germaine_11.20, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi,

I am going to go on lockdown and was wondering if I should split my hatch into two incubators instead of hatching them all in one.

There will be about 2 dozen on lockdown. I have been trying to decide if alot of eggs hatching at one time messes up the humidity thereby hurting the hatch.

Each time a chick hatches the humidity rises. With alot of chicks hatching out, there is a large swing in humidity. Do you think this hurts the hatch or do you think the extra humidity helps?

I remember reading a post from someone saying that if the humidity gets too high (lots of chicks hatching) and then drops (chicks who aren't quite ready yet) then the later chicks become "stuck" and glued in.

Does anyone have experience with large hatches and did you have any issues or alot of unhatched eggs?

Thank you for any advice and help you can give!

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    when I have had large hatches that did not have high percentages of live chicks, i found that the chicks that didn't hatch had died a few days before mostly. i don't think the humidity over a few hours is enough to make or break it. Good luck! If you have the values right in one bator, I'd just leave them there.

3. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks Patty!

4. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Any input from anyone else?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hatch 200 - 300 at a time. As long as your temps and humidty are in the right range the numerb of eggs doesn't matter.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I don't know the answer to your question......But if you have 2 incubators and it will make you feel better to split them up, why not?

7. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Well Miss Prissy has spoken and that is good enough for me. Thank you everyone for helping me feel good about hatching large numbers together

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Besides, if things go right, it feels really good to reach your hand in there and scoop out a handful of chicks instead of just two or three at a time! Hope your hatch goes extremely well!

9. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    LOL Thanks Patty! I would be afraid I would drop them if I had a handful but now you have me wishful thinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by