Do Turkey Hens gobble and strut??????

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
i have a pair of bronzes and i know for sure ones a tom and the other im pretty sure she's a hen, but today she tried to gobble and she strutted a little bit with the tom, then later the tom strutte and gobbled and she laid down in front of him, is she a girl ir a boy???? Please i am so confused!!!!
hmm.png
barnie.gif

Hen will try to strut, they can't hold it as long. I have never heard a turkey actually gobble, although I have seen some try and it not a real gobble. The laying down by a male turkey is also a sign of submittion to the more dominate turkey. When a hen lays down to to mate they spread there wings out some, they usually won't lay down unless they are ready to start laying eggs. A submissive position the wings are close to the body.

Tom

My hen never tried to do either, but she is very feminine and mild mannered. I have heard they will try it, but never actually seen it. Interesting. I'll just sit here and hope it's a girl for ya!!
smile.png

well the tom for sure his snood sometimes hangs down over his beak and the "hens" in nothing but a bump and she is more lighter in color than the male

I have a single turkey hen. She lays infertile eggs 2-3x a year, goes broody, hatches chickens and ducks for me... has a beard, gobbles, and struts. She's a sweet thing. But an oddball! Royal palm.

i have a pair of bronzes and i know for sure ones a tom and the other im pretty sure she's a hen, but today she tried to gobble and she strutted a little bit with the tom, then later the tom strutte and gobbled and she laid down in front of him, is she a girl ir a boy???? Please i am so confused!!!!
hmm.png
barnie.gif
I've got two BB white juveniles who are just HUGE. I watched a video where this guy said females have a smaller head and if you look from behind the males have larger eye socket bones. Also that funny little knob on the male gets really big and the female stays smaller. I heard one trying to gobble. I've just read they don't become mature enough to mate until they are 7 months old. We both may remain confused for a while yet. But the birds seem to know. I am switching to midget whites in the spring when I can get me some hatching eggs. I just don't think I can talk myself into performing artificial insemination with BB whites. While my turkey lap dawgs think they are my puppies, they are so huge that I can barely lift them up any more, and they love to be coddled. And believe it or not they love taking a bath if the water is warm and not too deep. I use a gentle baby shampoo on them. But for what it's worth their gender reveal is going to have to wait because I can't figure it out either.

Back
Top Bottom