Do Turkey Hens gobble and strut??????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Taylor, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    i have a pair of bronzes and i know for sure ones a tom and the other im pretty sure she's a hen, but today she tried to gobble and she strutted a little bit with the tom, then later the tom strutte and gobbled and she laid down in front of him, is she a girl ir a boy???? Please i am so confused!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Hen will try to strut, they can't hold it as long. I have never heard a turkey actually gobble, although I have seen some try and it not a real gobble. The laying down by a male turkey is also a sign of submittion to the more dominate turkey. When a hen lays down to to mate they spread there wings out some, they usually won't lay down unless they are ready to start laying eggs. A submissive position the wings are close to the body.

Tom

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My hen never tried to do either, but she is very feminine and mild mannered. I have heard they will try it, but never actually seen it. Interesting. I'll just sit here and hope it's a girl for ya!! [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Hens will strut but I have never heard one try to gobble. They will make a chirping sound is they are fighting with another hen.

Steve

5. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    well the tom for sure his snood sometimes hangs down over his beak and the "hens" in nothing but a bump and she is more lighter in color than the male

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by