Do turkey hens raise their poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nova022, Aug 28, 2016.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I was given two pair of turkeys, one Royal Palm pair and one Narragansett pair. They have been laying eggs for a while and I was wondering if the hens would hatch the eggs and raise the poults or should I incubate and brood them. The lady who gave them to me said she had very bad luck with trying to raise babies an now just buys hers from a hatchery every year. They are about two years old and very healthy. I have raised chickens and ducks and have incubated and let the hens do the work and I really like the latter. Will turkeys do this?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Just like every other types of poultry some turkey hens are good at it and some are bad at it. I personally have my bantam hens hatch my turkey eggs than I brood and raise them myself.

3. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I have read that poults are very hard to raise. The lady who gave me mine had no luck at all hatching them. Is there anything you do differently from hatching and brooding chickens?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They require a bit more heat and attention their first week or two. They need to be taught how to eat and drink for the first few days. They can be a bit clumsy too for a few days.

I teach mine by tapping at the feed and water a few times a day until they seem to get it. Putting shiny glass stones in the food and water will make them peck in that area. You can also raise a few chicks with them for a few weeks to help teach them. I would remove the chicks by about 4 weeks so the turkeys don't get too attached and than think they are chickens too.

I've never lost a poult. I start brooding at around 95-100 degrees the first week and adjust my heat lamp based on their behaviors. Chicks require less attention, but I don't find poults any harder to raise.

5. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. If I get any poults I will try brooding them following your tips. I am hoping some will hatch.

6. hyelaw

hyelaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Ohio
    My broody hen has been an excellent mother to my poults. Saved me from needing to brood them myself. I wasn't sure in the beginning, just keep an eye on them, if you feel like she's not doing well, take them away from her.

I split the eggs, gave her half and half in an incubator. We were equal on hatch rate too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by