Do turkey Vultures eat Chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by roostersandhens, Aug 4, 2013.

1. I never thought they would but now they have been hanging out near the coop so I am just wondering
    Thanks!

2. savvytiff

savvytiff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    No they are scavengers by nature. They do not have the claws or beak to be able to kill. There is either something dead nearby (within a mile or so) that theynare waiting to get "ripe" or they have decided that your place is a good resting spot. If they are there in the morning they are drying thier wings, in the evening, they are roosting, all day, and they like you a lot. Lol! They will not harm your chickens except that they could spread diease or thier poop will kill your trees if they stay long.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    No, they only eat dead animals. They do not hunt and kill live ones.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    They are always flying over the barnyard but never seem to show any interest in the hens - I think yours are safe.

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    turkey vultures are not hunters they have a sense of smell to find rotting flesh, caracaras is another bird that follows turkey vultures is a nasty hunter also and will kill chickens. They follow turkey vulture to steal their food because turkey vultures always find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by