Do Turkeys & Chickens get along? See for yourself (PICS)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kuntrygirl, May 13, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    For those of you who are new to turkeys and thinking about getting turkeys and you're wanting to know if turkeys and chickens get along. Well, here is my answer to your question. There was no contact of any kind during this little fuss and it lasted less than 60 seconds. I always run then away in their own separate ways. I don't know what happens when I'm not there but there are NEVER any injuries.

For some reason my turkey hens love picking on the roosters. I don't know why. [​IMG] They really don't do anything but make noises, head gestures, walk around in circles and perform acrobatic moves. There isn't actually anything else to it but walking around in a circle and pretending.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if you plan on putting your turkeys with your chickens, this is what could possibly happen.

P.S. As you can see my Tom is in the background referreeing. He doesn't do anything but watch.

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    It was interesting to see the balance of power shift as my tom grew larger than our rooster. Tom is the ruler of the yard now, but it doesn't stop a spat every once in a while.

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    And what I don't understand is WHY would a turkey HEN want to spat with a ROOSTER!??? It doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone who knows turkey psychology and behavior explain why this happens? [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    My 4 were brooded with chickens, and never had an issue. All four were raised by this little guy (they thought he was their mom):

[​IMG]

and the tom thought hens were for lovin'

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:I love the pic with the hen its like you can hear her say.." what the Heck? No I dont date turkeys. You just go puff up for some one else this Hen dont play that! ' ahhahah [​IMG]
    )O(
    Pink

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
  7. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    So funny that you posted this. last night my wife and I were working in the yard and our hen Tommie started chasing and fighting with our Rooster Sargent. Not sure why but she was on him like stink on sh**. Both my toms were running around rying to court her while this was going on. I thought they were backing her up, as they were all chasing the rooster. yet when they stopped running the boys immediately started srutting around tommie. Very funny sight indeed
    [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Awwww, how precious. They look so cute!!! Thanks for posting.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too funny!

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Omgoodness! Those are the cutest pics [​IMG] I just love your little roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by