1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do turkeys lay pullet eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by foursons13, Dec 16, 2011.

1. foursons13

foursons13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Alaska
    I have read somewhere that you shouldn't incubate pullet chicken eggs, is it the same for the first eggs a turkey lays? We are planning on hatching some chocolate turkeys from our pair but I want them to be healthy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    You can hatch these eggs fine. The immediate health of the babies is not the issue. The problem that many people have is that these poults would hatch smaller than their peers and then get off to a rough start. If all your poults are the same size, I don't know that you would have a problem. The second factor involved is that the parents are not proven and might be weak genetically. Therefore, hatching from young stock could cause you to perpetuate genes, etc that are not good.

If you have a rare variety, however, you should probably hatch whatever you can in case you lose a bird and then no longer have access to any more. First, build up your flock, then use time as one of your culling factors.

3. foursons13

Apr 27, 2011
    Alaska
    Thanks so much for the information. [​IMG]

4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    The chocolate turkey is so rare, I would say hatch them. Then feed a top quality turkey starter to get them growing well. Check out http://www.porterturkeys.com/ for how to raise the poults.

5. foursons13

Apr 27, 2011
    Alaska
    Awesome info. I have been looking into buying more but would love to raise my own. I didnt think she would start laying until spring! Its a bonus. She's laying eggs!!

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:Most only do lay in the spring and summer. A bunch of the ones that lay in the winter usually have some sort of artifical light. I don't have any lights where my birds sleep because I feel they need some kind of break.

7. love2chicken

love2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    do turkeys need a nesting box like chickens. please help want to try to raise some this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by