Do turkeys make good guardians for other fowl?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jruhle, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Someone told me turkey toms are very protective if raised with other birds and can drive away some predators. I've also been told that some toms are docile as a kitten. I have chickens & ducks that need a "body guard" (mainly the ducks) and someone suggested raising turkey's with them. I also wouldn't mind having some for dinner once and a while!

2. hatchie42

hatchie42 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    we had two turkey hens that roosted in the tree inside our pen and we sold them and within a week we lost three of our best hens to a racoon......so i would say yes for turkeys. but i have heard guineas are the best, if you can put up with their annoying calls [​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Turkey toms will let you know there is an official vehicle with a siren on, approaching, long before you hear it. They are loud about anything unusual, letting you know to come out and take care of whatever it is. They tend to hold their fire for use against other toms, not preds.

Turkey hens are excellent sentinels for warning flocks of aerial threats (two or three of them standing together with their good eyes up - whining to one another in assessment - hawks trigger immediate pred call/ any plane that isn't a standard commercial jet? - lots of whining). Turkey hens are pred buffet if allowed to nest in unprotected areas.

Occasionally a tom will inadvertently kill a chicken hen/duck trying to breed it. Guess you could eat both the tom and his victim...

I suppose the size factor might intimidate most domestic cats and they will definitely go after snakes of any length (hens in particular) but they are not going to save any flock from determined predators on four legs.

This applies to heritage varieties - Broad Breasted turks? not so much.

4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    We have pretty formidable predators here in Alaska. (Mostly roaming dogs. Grrrrr.) I had a mink tear up some ducks and roosters. Amazingly it only killed one duck, I put the rest in the "hospital" and trapped the mink. He's hanging on the wall. Gonna make a nice scarf. I would like something thats going to raise a ruckus when something is on the prowl. The ducks are too quiet! Was thinking about geese but I do like the idea of having some turkeys also. Waterfowl are soooo messy. Not to mention geese turds are HUGE! I suppose turkey turds are fairly large as well though. Jeez, birds sure do poop a lot! Anyway enough about poop, thanks for the input guys!

5. hatchie42

hatchie42 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011

you could have turducken! [​IMG]

6. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Or if the poor duck isn't killed in the process; you could have lil baby turdeckens running around! lol jk [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by