1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do turkeys only lay eggs when they want to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freshegg, Dec 18, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    will they hatch in the winter or would they need to go in a incubator? will she keep laying everyday if I take the eggs. if she hatches now will she hatch again in the spring or summer? can they lay more than 1 egg a day cause ive been usually getting 2 0r 3 well the time I got 3 I hadnt looked the day before. I thought my pullets started laying but just learned they appear to be turkey eggs and she didnt want to let me take the one yesterday. I didnt think she was old enough she was just born this spring same as he tom [​IMG] .

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know about all turkeys, but the pet turkey I used to have laid all year long. She slowed down a bit in the winter, but she still laid. I don't know if a turkey would go broody in the winter though, nor do I know if fertility is good in the winter.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    oh good my rir hens are not laying so I can eat turkey eggs instead of store eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by