do u bath ur birds b4 a show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sager:)silkies, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    If u do what do u use and what breed are they cause i only here ppl bathing silkies

2. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    i wash all mine before shows i raise seramas i wash with dawn dish soap and then i use reg hair condationer and rinse them good and blow dry .

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    bathe 10 days prior to show, that will allow for oils to get back in teh feather and add the shine back to them. everyone uses different shampoos and some vary based on teh feather type and color of teh bird as well. Wish you luck in your shows,

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    My birds don't seem to need bathing. (Best duck in Show; Best EE Cockerel and Pullet; 2nd place AOV Old Rooster...)[​IMG]

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:at small show that fine but at apa show any thing that can improve the look of your birds well help

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I bathe (the chickens, not me haha) with a very small amount of dawn dish soap, and rinse in vinegar before the final rinse. I have also used baby shampoo.

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    really, what happens to the feathers when you wash them like that?

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:They get wet, clean, then dry and the birds look and feel much better. Taking a bird with the slightest amount of dirt or debris on it to show and you don't have to worry about how it will place because it will not.

9. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    so there is no significant amount of feather loss? How could that be, I've got to try bathing a chicken. lol
    Quote:They get wet, clean, then dry and the birds look and feel much better. Taking a bird with the slightest amount of dirt or debris on it to show and you don't have to worry about how it will place because it will not.

10. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    well i learned the hard way to do it a few days before a show....blowdrying + normal feathered bird + show = BAD! his feathers were sticking up and he looked....sick so defintly do a couple days before the show
    and dont blowdry let them air dry in the summer i put them out in the sun

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by