Do u guys think their show quality??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CochinLover, Dec 23, 2008.

1. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    Ive been out of the ring for along time so im a little out of practice. Do u guys see any major flaws or stuff i need to work on?

Kai Partridge cochin
    [​IMG]

Akela Blue Partridge

[​IMG]

another pic of Akela

[​IMG]

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Im by no means an expert but I just love giving my 2 cents. [​IMG]

The first bird has a nice head but could use some more cushion. And, I believe, her partridge pattern could be more defined.

The second bird is a blue. I've never heard of a blue partridge. I think her color is nice. She does not have as nice a head as the first girl and her comb is rather large. I think she could also use a bit more cushion.

Overall, they are pretty nice. I've seen a lot worse at the shows around here.

Good Luck!

3. tileman@prodigBird Raiser

[email protected] Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    I think they are both nice. I do not breed cochins but i do know the breed. I had a friend give me a blue cochin hen because she had a bad head but i got better and you would never know she had a bad head. SHe has great foot feathering but is a little rough in the feathering. She should molt and then come in very nice.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/Maine72/2008-11-25058.jpg

4. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    uhh i mean Akela is a blue cochin haha not a blue partridge. i guess i got excited. Is there a way to fix her head? Thanks for the advice!

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Of the 2 the Blue is better. The Partridge is poorly coloured, long in the back, not enough tail & just generally not good Cochin type. The Blue also lacks fullness in the back end but at least her colour isn't bad.
    I wouldn't expect either to do well at other than a County FAir.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    the only way to fix her head is to breed her to a roo with an exceptional head. Their offspring will have some with her head, some with his, and some in between. Weed out the ones with hers and the inbetween and you're on your way. But has NYREDS has mentioned, this is not your only peoblem. I would look for a roo with an excellent head as well as the other things we've mentioned.

There are lots of BYC breeders on here with outstanding cochins. I know Cochinsrule.com has great breeders as well. Order some birds from them or eggs and hatch your own.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by