Do vitamins help a chicken get better when they have a cold

nate1the1great1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Colorado
Ok so me and my mom are arguing bc i have lost 2 of my most prized bantams in 12 hrs due to colds and I said i need to get some vet-rx to help treat it but she says that we should use the vitamins we have for them that we have now and i didnt think that it will help so will you tell me what to do bc i lost my OEGB roo that im using as a 4h project that now i dont have him anymore and i lost my americauna bantam that was one of my first that I got here at my new house so plz tell me what to do

Ok so me and my mom are arguing bc i have lost 2 of my most prized bantams in 12 hrs due to colds and I said i need to get some vet-rx to help treat it but she says that we should use the vitamins we have for them that we have now and i didnt think that it will help so will you tell me what to do bc i lost my OEGB roo that im using as a 4h project that now i dont have him anymore and i lost my americauna bantam that was one of my first that I got here at my new house so plz tell me what to do
I would use both. The Vetrx can be applied directly to the beak around the nose and on combs and wattles. (It doesn't take much though) In my opinion it works great that way. They may gurgle a little afterwards but that is just the mucus breaking up. Then you can put the vitamins in the water as well.

You may want to do further research on respiratory illnesses though. They can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Chickens do not get simple colds like humans do, they get respiratory diseases. Vitamins never hurt but they will do nothing to solve the issue you are having. VetRx may help treat symptomatically, can help clear excess mucous but it won't cure anything. It's similar to the menthol products humans use when they have a cold and have a stuffy nose.

Try Googling "poultry respiratory diseases" and do a lot of reading. There are many things this could be and these diseases are complex in that once a bird has it it is going to be a carrier of whatever it has, even after it recovers. Antibiotic's can help a bird recover by preventing pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections but they don't cure the disease. As far as what your birds have, it's most often almost impossible to know without having a necropsy done on a dead one or having blood work and other testing done on a live bird by an avian vet.

The fact that recovered birds remain carriers make this a real problem if you intend to show or breed these birds. In that case it is best to cull and start over rather then spread the disease around.

Back
Top Bottom