Do we have a feather plucker among us???

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So I noticed my dark brahma roo was losing his neck feathers a few weeks ago. I checked him over and no mites or lice. I gave it a few weeks to see if he was going through a small molt. Well it's getting worse.

I thought he might be plucking his own feathers but he can't reach the spots behind his ears.

He's 8 months old. They get a mixture of all flock and layer pellets. We have several roos in our flock of 45.

No one else has this issue.

I checked again and no mites or lice. I checked hum VERY thoroughly as we went through a mite problem in the summer.

Hopefully I included all the info you need.
Any thoughts??? Do we have a feather plucker in our flock??

Attachments

• 20211201_083255.jpg
    20211201_083255.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20211201_083226.jpg
    20211201_083226.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211201_083228.jpg
    20211201_083228.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 11
So I noticed my dark brahma roo was losing his neck feathers a few weeks ago. I checked him over and no mites or lice. I gave it a few weeks to see if he was going through a small molt. Well it's getting worse.

I thought he might be plucking his own feathers but he can't reach the spots behind his ears.

He's 8 months old. They get a mixture of all flock and layer pellets. We have several roos in our flock of 45.

No one else has this issue.

I checked again and no mites or lice. I checked hum VERY thoroughly as we went through a mite problem in the summer.

Hopefully I included all the info you need.
Any thoughts??? Do we have a feather plucker in our flock??
I have this same issue in one of my coops.

There's usually a hen, that will pluck pin feathers of molting Rooster's. It's a behavior that needs to be fixed.

You could either set up a camera, or you can watch the flock while you're outside.
I usually sit and watch them for a bit when I check on them every morning. I'll try to go out there more often and see if I can catch her! How do you stop feather plucking? Does the culprit need to just be separated for awhile, or is it a call for culling?

I usually sit and watch them for a bit when I check on them every morning. I'll try to go out there more often and see if I can catch her! How do you stop feather plucking? Does the culprit need to just be separated for awhile, or is it a call for culling?
You can get some Pinless Peepers to help discourage the plucking hen, or pullet who's doing this.

Back
Top Bottom