1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do we have a rooster or a hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by js2011, Jul 15, 2011.

1. js2011

js2011 New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Someone dropped off this sweetie about 4 months ago after the poor thing had been beaten up by its cagemates. We still don't know whether it is a rooster or hen. No crowing yet, but many interactive sounds and actions. He/she follows us and the dogs around and always seems to be interested in having a conversation. It is afraid of our other chickens though (all hens). Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Hen

Chris

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Hen. [​IMG]

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Agree it's a hen and a very pretty one too! By the way, [​IMG]

5. js2011

js2011 New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Quote:Oh flattery will get you everywhere!

If it matters, the comb, face and and wattles are a bit redder than the photo portrays, and interestingly enough, change intensity during the day--blood flow increases and it gets much redder Didn't know chickens could blush.

So I hope that a redder that illustrated comb doesn't change anyone's opinion! He/she purrs and trills, whistles for handouts, and hangs out with the dogs and cats. Any speculation on age or breed? We think at least 4 months and unsure about pedigree.[​IMG]

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I say hen too. We know she is more than four months old since you've had her that long. A 4-month-old roo would have a much bigger comb and would also have pointy sickle, saddle & hackle feathers and well developed tail feathers, none of which this girl has.

7. elbertchick

elbertchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    She is so pretty, I have a hen that looked like her when she was younger she is heavier now, and yes her waddles and comb are red. Her feathers cast green in the sunshine and she has always been a good brown egg layer, what is she, I don't know she was from a feed store, but follows me around, and hangs out with the dogs and chats and chats.

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hen. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Pretty hen! [​IMG]

10. RhapsodyRanches

RhapsodyRanches Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    It looks like you have an Austrolope hen on your hands!! She looks about 6 - 8 months, but she would be crowing already if it were a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by