Do we have the genders right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, we have two chicks. One is supposed to be a 2 month old hen, and the other a 3 month old roo. We hatched the hen, and bought the roo. But the thing is, they both have large combs. (They are speckled sussex.) The roo is crowing, has been for about a month now. The hen clucks like crazy, but we heard her make a sound like she was trying to crow too. The roo doesn't really make any clucking sounds. Other than that, the only difference between the two is their tails. The roo has a slightly curly, yet short tail. And the hen has a longer straighter tail. His tail is brown and white, hers is more dark brown/black with blue mixed in. She IS a hen, right?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sorry, need pics.

3. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I can't remember how to post pictures.... I've been trying to figure it out, but just can't. Can anyone help?

4. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    the roo - Shanticlair (Shanti)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the hen - Precious

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Sorry the pics aren't any better... they wouldn't sit still for me.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    They both look like roosters to me. [​IMG] A 2 month old hen wouldn't have a comb that red or that big. In a hen the comb doesn't normally turn red until they are close to laying (5-7months)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i dont know its hard to tell, but im leaning towards two roosters, [​IMG]

8. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    About the crowing--our first bantam was a stray (we live in a major city...) and she did some VERY passable crowing when there was a rooster around the house. (Stray number 2--thankfully, we found him a pet home OUTSIDE the city!)

Emily didn't want him on her turf. As soon as he left, the "crowing" stopped.

Watch for spurs or spur bumps--even on the BACKS of the legs! I had a roo fool me with that one, until he crowed....

9. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    That's good advice ellend. I will watch carefully. The one we know is definitely a roo is growing the spur bumps already. At three months old. So I will watch the other one and see what happens there. Thanks

10. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    So time has gone by, and both of them have bumps where the spurs will grow. Apparently we have two males. We were told they were 1 male 1 female. So now we need to rename "Precious". Anyone have ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by