Do we have the right breeds and sex?

Apr 21, 2022
After hearing all the horror stories from TS selling people the wrong breed and sex I have become paranoid of mine. We bought 4 pullets. 2 cinnamon queens (red sex link), 1 Rhode Island Red, and what I originally thought was a White Leghorn.

Here they were as chicks
EE1AC897-901A-48E0-9452-1EB4C9B44D08.jpeg

And now at 4 weeks old

Cinnamon queens have larger combs than the RIR and Possibly brown leghorn
1F843A21-A823-441B-854B-678093CDE2B7.jpeg

28645767-CBCE-4BF2-984A-3F8C4D2D09E0.jpeg

RIR? Can anyone confirm? She was yellow with brown banding on the back as a chick.
EB5C95AF-172A-4A1C-9136-1BCF6058F763.jpeg
E43096A1-E5B0-40B6-854D-8A55031E0C5A.jpeg

And Brown Leghorn, possibly?

2821405F-079C-46CE-B18C-AE15E9DB9085.jpeg
0FCCF0F7-B9AE-45FF-BA17-28E02569553E.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, in the chick picture it does look like you probably got one Rhode Island Red. However, I see no White Leghorns - WL are solid yellow as chicks.

Those are maybe Cinnamon Queens? The picture that Hoover Hatchery has for what they call Cinnamon Queens could match those chicks. Usually Red Sex Links look different than that, but they could be using some kind of cross that makes them come out like that, since they ARE hybrids. And it does look like they are turning red as they feather in.

Unfortunately as to the fourth chick, there are a lot of breeds that come in that type of pattern. It could potentially be a brown leghorn, but it could be other things too.

Well, in the chick picture it does look like you probably got one Rhode Island Red. However, I see no White Leghorns - WL are solid yellow as chicks.

Those are maybe Cinnamon Queens? The picture that Hoover Hatchery has for what they call Cinnamon Queens could match those chicks. Usually Red Sex Links look different than that, but they could be using some kind of cross that makes them come out like that, since they ARE hybrids. And it does look like they are turning red as they feather in.

Unfortunately as to the fourth chick, there are a lot of breeds that come in that type of pattern. It could potentially be a brown leghorn, but it could be other things too.
Thank you! I originally thought the yellow chick was supposed to be the “white” leghorn. I’m assuming it could be the RIR? As for the unknown chick I’d be very happy as long as they’re all looking like they’re pullets. I just saw one girl on instagram who supposedly got 4 Roos from the pullet bin. *shudder*

Some more photos of the 4 bigger ones. Looking like pullets?
There are two that used to have black-and-brown patterning, that are getting new feathers on their shoulders and backs in a very "red" shade of brown. In the last picture, one is in the bottom left corner.

That is making me concerned, as males are often more red than females.

In the second of the new pictures, the chick at the back (top of the picture) seems to have wattles that are quite red. None of the combs are looking really "male" to me (yet), and I am having trouble seeing wattles on most of the chicks.

So I cannot say for sure that you have any males, but I see some that you should probably keep an eye on. If they are male, it is likely to become much more obvious over the next few weeks. And if this is a false alarm, that should also become obvious over the next few weeks and months.

I have seen chicks of both genders that had black-and-brown patterning on their backs and sides when young, and grew up to be almost solid red or brown. So I know that either gender CAN have red. There's just something bugging me about yours, but it's not clear enough to be sure yet (at least to me.)

Last edited:
Much too young to sex. I see nothing that screams cockerel. The patchy-ness (red) in this case is caused from a chick getting their big boy/girl feathers which are red. The odd ball is a RIR. The others could be Brown Leghorns or Welsummers. Time will tell.

Post updated pics in a few weeks for gender. You'll need to wait a few more for breed ID on the other chicks. A Leghorn will have white ear lobes. A Welsummer will have brown.

Back
Top Bottom