Do we have to put our rooster down?

tgblldog70

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Last week our rooster Rocky got into it with our bullmastiff. Rocky had flown over into the dogs area and I did not check before letting the dogs out, my bad. But we fixed the cut he sustained and knew that his wing was hurt. He lets us pick him up and extend the wing and rotate it, but today I noticed that when he fluffs himself his right wing (injured) drops down and his left lifts like its supposed to. He is back to crowing, walking on the talon that was injured its just the wing. He is not acting like it hurts or anything like that. He is a bit put off going to close to the fence, I guess he learned his lesson about staying away from the dogs' area. Hubby says he may want to put him down. I say no, he is eaing drinking strutting around just gun shy. Its not like he is out in the wild with the risk of getting eaten. He is such a handsome fellow, he really is acting normal now, he was in pain last week and was moving with caution. Will his wing heal? again he is acting normal not staying in the coop or anything. Have you ever had an injured chicken that healed up and was as good as new? TIA for any info.

Sounds like he is fine and the wing may eventually heal up...or not. Unless it's dragging to the point of hindering his normal mobility, I'd ignore it and keep him. Any roo that survives a tangle with a Bull Mastiff is a big, bad Leroy Brown in my book!
thumbsup.gif

LOL I always make hubby happy!!!!
wink.png
I just spoke to him and he has "decided" to not put him down.
lol.png
lol.png
As long as he is still acting normal and is not in pain. I can agree to that. By the way mastiff Zeus did get some pretty good wounds from the fight. Rocky was doing what he was supposed to do and that was protect the hens that actually got him to go over the fence in the first place.
roll.png

I say let him live!
thumbsup.gif

We had a Sussex pullet called Vanilla with a broken wing, she got to close to one of our dogs when it was eating a bone (I suspect Vanilla wanted some).
We bandaged it into its natural position (so it healed strait), and put some antiseptic powder/cream on it, so it didn't get infected.
You should bandage your Roo's wing if it is drooping, and if it is cut clean it and make sure to put some antiseptic on it, because the infection is what you have to look out for and be worried about. I have posted a pic of Vanilla with her bandaged wing, we separated her because she was getting pecked, but if your Roo isn't don't worry about separating him.
111807_dcp_4510.jpg

We fed her yogurt and boiled egg to keep her strength up.
Hope he gets better soon.

No cuts or punctures on the wing or neck area. He lost a ton of downy feathers on his back though, our mastiff had a foo man choo of feathers on his muzzle. its not droopy it only drops down when he fluffs himself up.

I've never had a chicken with an injured wing, but I've had a couple with holes pecked so deep into the back of their heads that you could see bone. Not only did they live but they healed FAST! I wish I could heal wounds half as fast as they can, lol. They're tough little buggers.

This guy had a bad wing (it never functioned properly even as a baby), and it didn't affect him at all. He died in his sleep earlier this year at the age of 9.

13729_090308_01.jpg

Last edited:
It very well could just be a sprain or bruise. If the roo is acting fine, then why give up a tough, capable roo? Keep your hens happy and hang onto the guy.

Back
Top Bottom