Do we have to upgrade from a chick waterer for only 4 hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CandiceN, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Or can the full grown birds use the smaller one? I don't mind filling it every day or 2, I actually prefer it doesn't sit around too long. Can they get their beaks in there to get the water?

Thanks!

2. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    They can get their beaks in it without problem. It's more an issue of whether they have enough water or not. Depending on how much they drink and how hot it is you may have to fill it twice a day. And it's better if you give them fresh water everyday.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would suggest getting a larger waterer only because with four grown hens, I think they will run out of water with a chick waterer before the day is over unless you are out there to fill it twice a day.

4. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Ok, I didn't realize they went through water that fast! We did get a small planter and dish to use to make a waterer, but i am now looking into getting a couple push-in nipples and using a 2 qt water pitcher (I have 5, I can spare one!). Any ideas where to get a couple nipples cheap?

Thanks!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

A chick waterer is not big enough for four full-grown hens. Actually, a chick waterer didn't work for my chicks by the time they were four weeks old. I had to use a gallon waterer in the brooder to last over night. I have only six 20 week old pullets who have to have to have a gallon waterer filled more than once a day. I now give them a 3-gallon waterer and the one-gallon, and in this heat, they both need to be refilled within 24 hours. Chickens drink a lot of water, even when it is not this hot, and they like fresh water. When I change and refill the waterer, the chickens all come immediately and drink from the fresh water, even though they still had water when I went out to refill and refresh their water.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Same here. The chick waterer really isn't enough for my chicks. I have to use the gallon waterer for chicks.

7. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Ok, good to know. Until now, we only had 2 chickens, so I wasn't sure what the deal would be for 4.

I'll have to figure something out fast, we're going to have 4 hens as of tonight!

8. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    Funny you mention this. I just brought my chick-waterer back out of storage this morning. I'm going to add it to the coop at night while we are on vacation since our chicken babysitter won't be able to open the coop as early in the morning as I do. I have a bigger waterer in the run for my three hens.

The hens can definitely drink out of the chick waterer. I have it elevated to the height of their backs, and that seems to help.

So, you don't really need to panic. Fill the chick waterer a couple times if need be, or add multiple water sources until you can find something that works for your new hens. I'm sure you'll be checking on the new girls often as they settle into their new digs. You'll be taking good care of them.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I like to have excess capacity on the water. I have three pens of a dozen hens in each. I have a short pail of water, likely 1 1/2 gallon capacity, The hens love to drink out of a small bucket. I also have a typical 3 gallon waterer in each pen. Here's why it comforts me. Suppose we are out and we get "stuck" over night, for whatever reason. I know they will fine. Food they can live without for a day, but not water, and not in this heat. Again, having excess capacity is for my peace of mind.

BTW, those short gallon pails are also set in a heated dog dish in the winter. Works well for us.

10. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Quote:Thank you!!! I will probably go to the local feed store in the next day or 2 and just buy a 3 gallon waterer and be done with it. I'm trying to talk my hubby into building one of those 5 gallon bucket feeders to save some money on that end. We can use the dish we have temporarily for food. But I can't risk them running out of water in this heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by