Do weak chickens get coccidiosis?

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi all my favourite people,

I currently have a sick little silkie and saw a bloody poop that had mucous in it. I have had one chicken with coccidiosis before and have started treatment with the same item that saved the other one.
My question is - are weak chickens more prone to getting cocci badly? This little one has always been a runt and I was under the impression that it was a she until it crowed due to its size (very small). Always been a fussy eater and the bottom of the pecking order. She/he has also had respiratory issues in the past that were treated.
All my chooks are on show bird feed, get scraps and high protein treats, are wormed and free from lice - they all thrive bar this one.
Seeing as this chook may have cocci - I was thinking that I should probably treat everyone else - or is this overkill? Will my whole flock come down with this now? (my sick bird has now been put into isolation). The run is raked twice per week and feeders and waterers cleaned out every day or two.
I think her chances of survival are pretty slim due to the way she is - do you guys have any tips on how to help them pull through this besides warmth and high protein feed?
Thanks everyone - I havnt lost a chicken before and would really like to keep it that way, it would break my heart. :hit

I currently have a sick little silkie and saw a bloody poop that had mucous in it. I have had one chicken with coccidiosis before and have started treatment with the same item that saved the other one.

My question is - are weak chickens more prone to getting cocci badly? This little one has always been a runt and I was under the impression that it was a she until it crowed due to its size (very small). Always been a fussy eater and the bottom of the pecking order. She/he has also had respiratory issues in the past that were treated.

Seeing as this chook may have cocci - I was thinking that I should probably treat everyone else - or is this overkill? Will my whole flock come down with this now?

I think her chances of survival are pretty slim due to the way she is - do you guys have any tips on how to help them pull through this besides warmth and high protein feed?

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What product are you using to treat the Coccidiosis?

If she is weak, a runt or her health has not been good, she might be more likely to become sick with Coccidiosis. It's opportunistic. If you are using Amprolium to treat her, then that will not hurt your other chickens if you wish to treat them as well.

How high of protein is your Show Bird Feed? How old is the Silkie?
I would provide her with some extra warmth, encourage her to eat. Hopefully she will pull through for you.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What product are you using to treat the Coccidiosis?

If she is weak, a runt or her health has not been good, she might be more likely to become sick with Coccidiosis. It's opportunistic. If you are using Amprolium to treat her, then that will not hurt your other chickens if you wish to treat them as well.

How high of protein is your Show Bird Feed? How old is the Silkie?
I would provide her with some extra warmth, encourage her to eat. Hopefully she will pull through for you.
Thanks for the reply! She is around 5-6 months old and the show bird is 17% protein. I have been supplementing her food with live mealworms, egg, chickstater mash (she loves the stuff), cooked mince, papaya and kale as she is being super fussy and not eating very well. I have also been hand watering her as she won’t drink on her own. I have been keeping a hit pack next to her bed and have her on top of the fridge because it is a little warmer up there. The medication is coccivet which is 80g/L amprolium and 5.1g/L ethopabate. I went through and checked all my chooks and their poop and they are all a-ok for now.

Thanks for the reply! She is around 5-6 months old and the show bird is 17% protein. I have been supplementing her food with live mealworms, egg, chickstater mash (she loves the stuff), cooked mince, papaya and kale as she is being super fussy and not eating very well. I have also been hand watering her as she won’t drink on her own. I have been keeping a hit pack next to her bed and have her on top of the fridge because it is a little warmer up there. The medication is coccivet which is 80g/L amprolium and 5.1g/L ethopabate. I went through and checked all my chooks and their poop and they are all a-ok for now.
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?
It's concerning that she will not drink on her own, have you tried tube feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom