1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do welsummers really lay black eggs ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zuercher12, Apr 1, 2013.

1. zuercher12

zuercher12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    my teacher told me they lay black eggs. if they do id like to see a pic of the eggs

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    No.. and use google

3. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Welsummers are known for laying a Terra Cotta colored egg, with a tendency to be heavily speckled. Welsummer Club of North America has pictures on their website of typical eggs.

I don't know of any chicken breed that lays a black egg. Your teacher may have Welsummers confused with Marans, which are casually referred to as one of the few "chocolate egg" breeds.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Unless the teacher mistaken a black egg of an emu with Welsummer LOL!

The darkest egg I've seen are the Penesdencas...flighty nervous birds and I don't ever want them in my barn anymore.

5. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    It's not chickens, but Black Cayuga and Black Indian runners will lay pretty black eggs when they first come into lay, then they get lighter. It's really trippy.

6. HappyHenLisa

HappyHenLisa New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    Please delete this post.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. HappyHenLisa

HappyHenLisa New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    When searching on Google, I found every single answer from yes to no & everything in-between.... and you are obviously a snotty person for replying in that way.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had Welsummers and they laid dark brown eggs, frequently with very dark speckles on them, but not black eggs. I've been raising chickens for 50 years and I've never seen a black egg, nor heard of any breed laying one. The only bird I know of that lays black eggs are Cayuga ducks.

9. koicrzyizme

koicrzyizme New Egg

Jun 9, 2012
    There is a chicken that is all black inside and out...even its organs are Black. They lay very black eggs.
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. koicrzyizme

koicrzyizme New Egg

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by