1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do White and Brown Eggs have the Same Nutritional Value?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GETE, Nov 21, 2009.

1. GETE

GETE New Egg

Aug 21, 2009
    Most people, it seems, prefer brown eggs, I have white. What's the difference, if any?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The breed of chicken. That's it.

3. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I think they have the same nutritional value. I have noticed that fresh eggs from my girls taste better than ones bought at the store.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    From your chickens yes! In the store no. Most white are bleached and so processed up with chemicals you would puke! The browns are sold organic , free range so they are better. But coming from your backyard they are the same~ So are the blue, pink, terra cotta, maroon and other eggs. [​IMG]

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I've checked the cartons at the store, and the brown ones have 10 more calories and 0.5 g more fat... Who knew?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My Redstar lays brown eggs with a darker yolk than my Leghorn's white eggs. They all eat the same food (Layena and free range) [​IMG]

Me and DH like brown eggs better - that's all we ever buy from the store, but it's probably just because they're also Organic and free range. I asked DH if he thought it was worth the price and he said yes.
    I can't distinguish any TASTE difference in my backyard eggs - they're ALL better than plain ole store eggs, even the pricy ones.

7. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:See, I can tasted the difference. My fresh eggs taste richer, thicker if you will. They sometimes take a little longer to cook too. But so, so worth it!

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:See, I can tasted the difference. My fresh eggs taste richer, thicker if you will. They sometimes take a little longer to cook too. But so, so worth it!

No no no. I can definitely taste the difference in backyard vs. storebought.

What I meant was: I can't taste any difference in my backyard white eggs vs my backyard brown eggs. They LOOK different when cracked into a bowl, but once cooked I can't tell the difference.

9. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Interesting concept, but brown eggs are no more organic or healthy for you, and white eggs in the store are not bleached. You can certainly buy or raise organic white eggs. They color of the shell has to do with the breed of the chicken. That's all. NO nutritional difference.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Interesting concept, but brown eggs are no more organic or healthy for you, and white eggs in the store are not bleached. You can certainly buy or raise organic white eggs. They color of the shell has to do with the breed of the chicken. That's all. NO nutritional difference.

Well around here you can get cheap "storebrand" white eggs.

OR

Organic/free range brown eggs.
    or just plain "cage free" brown eggs.
    SO perhaps it's the same way in a lot of places. Brown eggs do not automatically = organic or free ranged, BUT sometimes that's the only way that they SELL them. We bought Organic free ranged brown eggs prior to having backyard chickens because DH and I agreed that they tasted enough better to be worth the extra cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by