1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do White Sultans all have 5 toes? Male & Female?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Faverolle Queen, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Faverolle Queen

Faverolle Queen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Missouri
    I ordered 15 chicks from the Cackle Hatchery and I am afraid they sent me the wrong chicks. But I don't really wanna be stupid and call them on it until I am sure. I ordered 5 white Sultans, 5 Salmon Faverolles, and 5 Buff Orpingtons. I only have 5 that have 5 toes. And I read that the sultans and the faverolles both have 5 toes. I wanted the golden buffs, but I got the blue ones sent to me. But that is ok. I like any kind of Orpingtons. But I really wanted the White Sultans. So if someone will enlighten me on this subject of the toes or how I can distinguish between the White Sultans and the Salmon Faverolles?

[​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

You have more of a chance of having hatchery stock Sultans (which aren't very good) than you do of having the wrong chicks sent. It can happen, as something in their genes can get messed up, being bred again and again to hatchery birds. Post some pics if you are in doubt. I'd say you have the right chicks, they were just low quality, resulting in them not being bred to standard. I'd love to see pics of the little fluff-balls anyway. [​IMG] And, yes, all Sultans are supposed to have five toes, reguardless of sex.

3. Faverolle Queen

Faverolle Queen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Missouri
    Thanks Polish Princess. I don't have any good pics yet, but will get some up soon. Wow, I hate to hear that about my chickens>>>hatchery stock Sultans....messed up genes! Man, just my luck! But they are still too cute to resist!!

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand totally. I had one Sultan bantam that I adored-the only rooster out of 14 than never attacked me. I trained him to crow on cue and he made a wonderful pet. Cute as a button, too. But he had a problem with his foot, even if no one was pecking at it, it would bleed often. For no reason. And his feathering was messed up, his crest was small, he was just made to be a pet and nothing more.

I hope you enjoy your birds. I've ordered another Sultan this year and is due to come with my other chicks very soon. [​IMG] Hatcheries may take some pride in their work, however it's much more about quantity than quality.

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I have 10 sultans coming in May. I cant wait, they are such cute chickens and even though your's is a little deformed or lacking rather.. I bet they are still adorable!

Where did you order from by the way?

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I'd be calling the hatchery. Even if they are hatchery birds, they should still have 5 toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by