Do worms need to be present in poo samples?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akhadley, Aug 21, 2014.

1. akhadley

akhadley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    I know my chickens have worms... I saw two in one of my hen's poo this morning but stupidly did not take the poo sample or take a picture because I did not know that many medications are specific to certain worms. So, I need to take a poo sample to the vet BUT ... do the worms have to be present in the poo? Because I have been following my 3 around for an hour and every poo they leave has no sign of worms in it. But I know at least one of them has them! I don't want to go to the vet and spend money just for them to tell me that there aren't any worms... when I know very well that there is. Just not sure what kind.

Please help! I need to know ASAP.

Thank you.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi there! No, worms don't have to be present in poop for vets to find them. As a vet tech in training, I have the fun of doing worm tests all the time and actually the eggs in the poop are often what gives it away that an animal has worms. We don't usually get actual worms in the poop. That said, you don't really need to take your birds to the vet for this - you can just give them a broad spectrum wormer to take care of it. If you haven't wormed them before, worm them with Wazine first - this will kill roundworms if they have any and it's best to do this because if you hit them with a broad spectrum wormer first, if they have a high parasite load, the dying worms could cause a toxic buildup in their system and actually cause death. So, Wazine first, wait ten days, then hit them with a broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen or Eprinex. Eprinex is nice because it doesn't have a withdrawal time before you can eat eggs again like the other ones do.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Eprinex is ineffective against poultry worms, just like ivermectin. However, they will both still kill mites. Wazine acts as a flush against large roundworms and if there's a large roundworm infestation, there's a greater chance of a blockage causing toxic dead worm overload. It's always best to use valbazen as a first time wormer. Valbazen, unlike any other wormer, slowly kills worms over several days. There's no need to worry about toxic dead worm overload using valbazen. Then reworm in 10 days with valbazen like you mentioned.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Interesting! I've always been told to do Wazine first, so it's nice to know that's not necessary. Also interesting about the Eprinex. I use it and it seems to work for me, as well as for other people in the area, so maybe it's a regional thing where in some places worms have built up immunity?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As you know, eprinex and ivermectin's primary purpose is a wormer. Unfortunately it's been used primarily among chicken owners as a miteacide, poultry worms have built resistance to the product.

6. akhadley

Feb 17, 2014
    Okay well... I did Wazine yesterday and my chickens do seem much more lively and perky. So now do I wait 10 days and give Valbazen? Then give Valbazen AGAIN 10 days after that? Or is just one dose of Valbazen okay since I already used Wazine?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Just dose once with valbazen in 10 days.
    When you worm your birds in the future, forget the wazine and use valbazen initially, then. redose again in 10 days with valbazen

8. akhadley

Feb 17, 2014
    Hi again Dawg53, so sorry if you're getting tired of me! So I gave Wazine to my chickens on August 23 and it is now August 27 (Guam is a day ahead of the states) and my chickens still seem fine but I've seen one hen produce rather explosive diarrhea with little to not actual poo in it, and then finding very "unsolid" poo in the run as well as one poo that was very watery and white (see attached photos - sorry to have to do that). This morning I also found what I believe to be a round worm in their poo on the poop board from overnight, it was long and white, "rounded" and not tapered. I'm worried that they did not drink enough Wazine perhaps? Or maybe it didn't work... or maybe I'm just worrying too much. I don't know, this is my first time raising chickens so I'm all stressed out about them dying. They seem fine personality wise and all seem to be eating and drinking well and do a lot of moving around when I let them free range in the morning and evening. I plan to give Valbazen on September 2, but am worried that it won't kill off all the worms if the Wazine didn't work. I also just noticed that when it rains really hard here, their new coop/run positioning allows for some standing water to accumulate in the run, so I need to dig a trench to redirect the water away from them. Could this be another factor with these worms? Sigh, please help this neurotic new chicken owner...

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can go ahead and dose them with valbazen if you wish. Dose each chicken 1/2ml orally undiluted, use a syringe without a needle to administer the valbazen. Wet warm soil is worm soup. It would be best to worm your birds 3-4 times a year. Add alot of sand onto your soil to drain rainwater, like a beach. Once you've dosed your birds with valbazen, wait a few hours and give them buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt and coats the intestinal lining, it's also easily absorbed. Buttermilk helps rebuild their immune system and scrambled eggs is extra protein to help rebuild strength.

10. akhadley

Feb 17, 2014
    Okay. Then should I do Valbazen again in 10 days? Or just this one dose?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by