Do/would you re-use the pot?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Jul 23, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    We processed 2 chickens today and dunked them in boiling water in our Turkey Fryer pot. Would you re-use that pot for anything else other than dipping dead chickens? My husband would but I am not really wanting to. What are your thoughts?

2. I'm with you ,but if its scrubbed out good i guess it would be ok. I think its just the thought of what it was used for the chickens, but I have a very week stomach, that's why Istill have andrew, can't bear the smell of wet feathers.But thats just my personal opinion. marrie

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Clean it out well with soapy water and if you are really worried about it, then fill with water and let it come to a boil for 5-10 min. That will totally sterilize it.

Look at it this way - do you reuse pans you use to cook chicken? If you ever bought store chickens, there was likely microscopic fecal material & intestinal microbes on at least some of the chicken you've bought over the years when you took it out of the packaging.

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I would clean it and use it for cooking tasks without a second thought.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure. Bet your dead "dirty" chicken had less bacteria on it than any store bought chicken that sat dead and refridgerated for a few days up to a week.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If reading all of that still doesn't make you feel any better, try picking up a bottle of rubbing alcohol and wipe it down with that. Maybe that will make it feel more sterilized to you.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Sterilize it, then it will be sterilized [​IMG]

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    just give it a good scrubbing with a hint of bleach and rinse REAL good.........will be cleaner than a new store bought pot.

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I bleach everything and know it is clean and sterile. I wouldn't have second thoughts on using it again for anything, simple soap and water will be fine. A dead chicken is a dead chicken...whether store bought or home processed:>)

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've let my dogs clean up a pot....I just bleach and wash as normal. I always use bleach on my dishes anyway, so I don't worry.

Reuse it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by