do Wyandotte hens go broody often???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mahsmaj, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    do Wyandotte hens go broody often??? because im looking for a hen that goes broody alot

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I haven't had my SL wyndotts go broody before, but I heard that Cuckoo Maran's are very broody and I know from experience that Silkies are super brooders. I also heard that Buff orpingtons are good brooders but I have never had one go broody on me.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    not sure but most heavy breeds go broody. Cukoo marans do go broody and so do buff orpingtons but not until their 2nd year(usually)

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    one of my buff orp hens just turned six months old shes got just under two weeks to go on the eggs shes been setting on,I dont think any of them are even hers,I was going to break her up but havent had any baby chicks for while so I figured why not let her set

5. Rhode Runner

Rhode Runner New Egg

Jul 15, 2008
    Cambridge England
    We have Wyandotte bantams and they rival silkies in their ability to go broody. Here in the UK gamekeepers use them regularly to hatch off Pheasant and partridge eggs to stock up shoots. I'd say they are probably the best bird around if you want broodies and the worst if you don't.

Allan

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I agree with Rhode Runner, our wyandotte bantams are always brody, we have a silver laced on eggs right now, we have a black and a BLR setting in the barn, they are broody year round it seems which can be nice at times and annoying at other times.

7. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    As of 1-20-09 our Golden Laced Wyndott has just gone broody for three days so far, so to answer your question yes some do just depends on your hen.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I had two golden laced wyandottes that went broody every summer.

9. Crystalwhite

Crystalwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    yes wyandotte go broody a lot.

10. happy chick

happy chick New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    One of our silver laced Wyandottes loves being broody- it's almost impossible to stop her!!!! X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by