Do Y'all Eat Livers, Gizzards, and Hearts?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by broncbuster07, Oct 22, 2007.

1. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I love to eat these! I fry them up and smother them in gravy. How do you cook them?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I eat them too. They usually get tossed into soup and I just pick them out and put a dash of salt on them. YUM!

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I love them, but doc said to avoid them since they are high in the bad colesteral. Its the internal organ thing. What he doesn't know can't hurt HIM [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Great stuff. But in the last year or so you can no longer buy the gizzards and hearts together. They now only sell gizzards. I preffer the hearts. They are softer. I have not eaten any of my own chickens. We talk about it but have not as of yet. I just do not know if I can.[​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I love to boil the gizzards a LONG time. Then when you are sure they are tender, add some bbq sauce, worchestershire, garlic........ whatever you feel like really... and man that is good.

6. TxChiknRanchers

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Dry pan fried with red pepper. thats the ticket..............er if I ate that stuff.

7. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I've heard that if you want a healthy heart, you should eat animals' hearts. If you want a healthy liver, eat animals' livers and so on. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? I'd like to have good eye sight! [​IMG]

8. TxChiknRanchers

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    SEE my post above, the first one.

If that were true I could run like a deer and jump like a rabbit

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Fried chicken livers is one of my favorites followed closely by the gizzards. My husband had never in his life had chicken livers (nor any liver for that matter) but he had a yuck factor he carried around. I fried and fed him chicken livers many times before he even knew he was eating them. LOL I know how bad that sounds. If you ask him he doesn't remember eating them but he does without complaint/knowing at least once a month or so. He eats what I put on the table. [​IMG]

I use the gizzards, livers and hearts for giblets to make my chicken and dressing and for giblet gravey.

Edited to add:

Plester - it is not as hard as you think and your own birds taste better than commercial chicken.

10. TxChiknRanchers

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I use the gizzards, livers and hearts for giblets to make my chicken and dressing and for giblet gravey.

OK what time is thanksgiving dinner! or lunch or anything involving giblet gravy and dressing.

*Wiping my mouth of drule*​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by