Do you all candle your eggs? What do you use to do it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindyanne1, May 16, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Since my mother (and brother, and brother in law, and other brother in law, and sister in law, and... oh heck, let's just say the whole family) are sooooooooo sqeamish about blood spots in eggs, I want to candle all the eggs I give to them to make sure there are no spots.

Do any of you do this? What do you use?

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    The Maglite seems to work the best.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I use a mini maglite....

4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Are you familiar with the book "Raising Poultry the Modern Way" by Leonard Mercia? On page 88 there is a plan to make a candler out of wood with a 60 watt bulb inside.
    Easy to build. I did it and it works fine.
    However, I don't like the idea of a hot bulb in a small wooden enclosure. I've got a sheet metal brake and plan on making another one out of galvanized metal.
    Better safe than sorry.

spot

5. amanda524

amanda524 New Egg

May 17, 2009
    hi,i use a washing powder box,make a small hole at the top, for the egg, and a biggish one at the bottom for the torch,works wonders,amanda

6. JeffroDull

JeffroDull Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:Rather than worry about the bulb being hot enough to burn the wood (it's not) save some work AND some electricity and just use a 23W CFL. Same light as a 100W but cool enough to touch (uses less juice for more light with far less heat!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by