Do you all still think its a Hen? Updated Pics 22/11/13

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zook, Nov 21, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Got some new pics today of the one turkey (possible bronze/wild) and I see such differences to me anyways and just wonder if the opinion is still the same as it was. They are 6-7 months old. 1st one is the one con-census was "looks like a hen" To me looks so different from the "hen" below. No beard is visible on either bird.
    [​IMG]
    And below is what everybody said was a Hen. That I tend to agree with as it does look like one to me, but what do I know. Asking the experts on here their opinions. In the end eggs or not will decide.
    [​IMG]

Below is a pic showing my 3 turkeys a number of weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    Any and all comments welcome as we are new to all of this. Muscovy ducks are so easy to sex. We are hoping to have one male turkey and if the other two are hens great as we want to hatch viable eggs in the spring.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    turkeys will drive you nuts. hens will even sometimes strut and take on the male appearance. i dont feel comfortable guessing until they are about 6 months old, and i can observe them for a couple hours.

3. jandlpoultry

jandlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Are the feathers on it still edged in white? Or a light color and not black?

4. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Here are this mornings pics to show you now.The first pic shows his/her true markings and color. The last pic has the bronze "hen" in front of it showing the difference in coloring. The bronze is much browner.One thing I noticed in these pics is the bronze has a feather mohawk to a point on the skull between the eyes, the whitish bird does not, the head is more barren. Hope these help to judge a bit better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. My bronze turkeys were very similar in appearance, I'm pretty sure the top one is male, the other two though as in mine, may just be slower to grow.
    Two of my three male turkeys were at least 3 to 4 weeks later in showing signs of snood growth, and were a lot smaller, I reckon one is just a greedy bugger, and in a month you will probably know!!
    Martin.

6. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The darker bronze "hen" is about the same size as the grey (maybe tom) and the 3rd one is about half the size of either although was one picked up the same time as the maybe tom. The guy I got them from picked them out as a pair for me and I admit I knew nothing on how to determine sex at that age. I had the bronze already. If I go in their pen and re-arrange their tree limbs for roosting the greyish "male" really gets red coloring to his face and carnacles but is never aggressive. Just moves out of the way.

7. jandlpoultry

Sep 15, 2012
    Let me ask you a few more questions. Have you picked the bird in question up? And if so does it kick, or hold its legs up? Hens more likely to squat or hold up legs, toms to fight and kick. And have you felt for a beard? You can feel them before you can see them...I still don't see anything about it that, indicates it is for sure a tom..

8. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Head shots. Pic one is the grey colored wild turkey (male??) pic two is bronze turkey "hen" . What do you see??? I see male above, hen below. Opinions folks. I am so confused[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have read many times hens can grow beards too. Makes it all so exasperating. I have not picked then up, they all get quite upset if I reach for them. I have sat with them before till they go about their business again and looked close for beards starting. can't see any but might feel it if touched. Don't really want to try picking them up right now as they were just moved 2 weeks ago. Not picked up but left to explore until they got to the new pen.

10. jandlpoultry

Sep 15, 2012
    Yes, I've had hens with breads. And hens who strut. So it is so confussing ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by