Do you all think that his spur looks OK?!

Ok thank you so much for that helpful link! I thought my DE powder in their food would keep them safe ugh. Guess not lol
1f62c.png
always learning with chickens! I'm so happy for this website. Thanks again!!!

Check the rest of the flock over well (nighttime is a good time to look at vents) to see if anyone else has any critters. If they do, then you may want to clean out and treat your coop as well.

Does your flock dust bathe regularly?

Check the rest of the flock over well (nighttime is a good time to look at vents) to see if anyone else has any critters.  If they do, then you may want to clean out and treat your coop as well.

Does your flock dust bathe regularly?
my rooster does but the hens will not come out of the coop much unless to eat or drink. I removed his spurs because I thought that's why they are staying in the coop so much, their scared to death of his spurs, but now that his spurs are gone they still run from him and stay inside. So the hens have not dust bathed since I don't know when. I don't get why they are staying cooped up...I seen that, I'll make sure to treat their coop as well.
1f642.png

my rooster does but the hens will not come out of the coop much unless to eat or drink. I removed his spurs because I thought that's why they are staying in the coop so much, their scared to death of his spurs, but now that his spurs are gone they still run from him and stay inside. So the hens have not dust bathed since I don't know when. I don't get why they are staying cooped up...I seen that, I'll make sure to treat their coop as well.
1f642.png
How is Franklin?
Are the hens mature (age?)

Since you have Franklin separated while he is healing, has that made a difference in the behavior of the hens? Are they coming out if he is penned separately?

How is Franklin?
Are the hens mature (age?)

Since you have Franklin separated while he is healing, has that made a difference in the behavior of the hens? Are they coming out if he is penned separately?
Franklin is doing great! I let him out this morning and as soon as he got out he went to the freshly plowed garden and took a dust bath, we have had beautiful weather for a week now sunny and 70. The hens did come out and had a fun scratching around in the run. I got the hens off my dad last summer he said they are 4 years old. Of course Franklin caught both of them with their backs turned and re traumatized them
1f62c.png
but seems like all the chickens including him are happy and active today. But they are still running and trying to fly away from him lol. My dad didn't have any roosters with those hens so I don't know, I figured they would be used to it by now? Those spurs seemed to have hardened up. Is that normal?

Franklin is doing great! I let him out this morning and as soon as he got out he went to the freshly plowed garden and took a dust bath, we have had beautiful weather for a week now sunny and 70. The hens did come out and had a fun scratching around in the run. I got the hens off my dad last summer he said they are 4 years old. Of course Franklin caught both of them with their backs turned and re traumatized them
1f62c.png
but seems like all the chickens including him are happy and active today. But they are still running and trying to fly away from him lol. My dad didn't have any roosters with those hens so I don't know, I figured they would be used to it by now? Those spurs seemed to have hardened up. Is that normal?
That's great that he is doing well. Yes, the spurs should harden, sounds like they are healing up.

LOL the hens will figure it out, hopefully he will start to "woo" them - tidbit and dance. Some hens just don't like to be mounted, since yours are older and never have been around a rooster, it probably will take some time.

That's great that he is doing well.  Yes, the spurs should harden, sounds like they are healing up.

LOL  the hens will figure it out, hopefully he will start to "woo" them - tidbit and dance.  Some hens just don't like to be mounted, since yours are older and never have been around a rooster, it probably will take some time.
lol that's funny, they don't fall for his tidbits much anymore, I think they figured out that he tricks them 50 percent of the time with sticks or other random items lol. Poor hens
1f62c.png
that's what I was thinking I guess that's a good sign then with his spurs. I'm not sure if I'll ever do that to him in the future. Maybe I'll just blunt them. Did more trauma to me I think
1f604.png
1f644.png
thanks for checking in on him!

Update! Franklin's spurs look great! He bumped them a few times and they did bleed some,I sprayed them with the vitecyin spray when they got bumped. So other than that he is doing great!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom