Do you bargain before you buy/sell?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm curious as to how reasonable & customary this practice is. I wonder if it's more common in certain regions of the country/world than others. I know for some folks it's almost a game and they enjoy it, but personally, I prefer more straightforward transactions. When I go to buy something from someone, like at their yard sale or from Craigslist, if I think they're asking a fair price I will pay it. If the price is higher than I wished to spend, then I'll ask if they'll take less. Especially if I'm buying a lot of things from them at once, or if it's late in the day of their sale.

What I dislike are the folks who will dicker with you no matter what price you ask for items you're selling. If you ask 2 cents they'll offer 1. This is why I rarely hold yard sales of my own, it's just so exhausting. I'd rather donate my surplus & take a tax credit.

What do you do when you buy/sell? Do you always ask for a discount? Always overprice your stuff for sale? Is there anyone else who is weary of this practice?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It depends. If I am having a garage sale, if it gets rid of something , I am glad to bargain.

If it is something I sew, I price it affordably, only taking into account the cost of the fabric and part of my time, so I don't.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I always bargain.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Either I want it and I can afford it, or I can't.
    If I have it and you want it, either you can afford it, or you can't.
    That's that.
    I hate to bargain ; it is too much like arguing.

I am like sunny side, I am weary of it.

5. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I Barter,Trade and deal all the time with chickens, pigeons, doves, ducks I trade for something i want with something i have someone else wants.
    I dicker on the price of eggs, chickens, equipment, I basically know some people over price so they can come down on the price if needed.
    But i will give the price ask too i know how much it cost to feed and house these birds.

Basically it's who i'm dealing with at the time of the transaction, Some folks don't dicker at all while others will.

I have several folks we trade bird for bird and no money changes hands

I traded Doves for Call Ducks [​IMG]

6. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Dave Ramsey makes me do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by