Do you believe in 2nd chances?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bock, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a broody Bantam Cochin that has been setting for 8 days on 4 fertile eggs. Last time she went broody, about 3 months ago, she had 7 eggs she had incubated for 17 days. On the night of the 17th day something (not sue what) broke into the coop and ate her eggs! [​IMG] I couldn't get her to leave the nest, so after 2 days I bought her 2 chicks from the feedstore. I put the babies under her, and at first she would just stare under her chest at the little fuzzballs. She seemed to accept them......until one popped out from under her chest. She pecked at the chicks head, causing it to scream in pain. I immediatly slipped it back under her, and she seemed fine. After a few incidents like this, I gave up and took the chicks inside. I do not know if she would have eventually killed them or not, but now that she is hatching her own chicks, I fear she will kill them. [​IMG] Do you think she will do this again? I have taken her off the nest the last 3 times she went broody, but this time I was on vacation and wasn't there to stop her. If she is likely to do this again I will put the eggs in the bator before they hatch. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I bet she will do just fine. The thing is leave her alone. A lot of new mothers of all kinds of animals, are very hormonal, and get upset, when good meaning humans interfere. She knows more about being a chicken than either of us do, (paraphrasing my Grandfather, who told me that about a cow) almost always, with a little time and privacy, the mother and offspring will figure it out.

Did you slip the chicks under her at night? Then she can't really see them, just hear them, and they hear her. Worked for me.

Mrs.K

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you for the support. [​IMG] I hope everything works out! [​IMG]

I didn't put the chicks under her at nught, because I feared that she would hurt them before I woke up. [​IMG]

4. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    When I read this I got confused I thought it was about humans. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I agree she was a first time mom and it is best to put the new hatchinlings under her at night it is ok tough live and learn.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:I can be like that sometimes. [​IMG] It's OK. [​IMG]

6. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I agree after reading for so long you start thinking things........

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I think she was just a first time mom and was confused. In other words, yes, give her another chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by