Do you believe in Miracles ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by monathequeen, Aug 26, 2010.

1. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi Everyone,
    This morning I went out to let my 12 ducks and 8 chickens out and to my surprise, the gate was not locked and was open just enough for a predator or two to get in and kill everyone....When I saw the door open, my heart sank.
    What the heck was I thinking and not checking the door like I do EVERY single night...

Much to my surprise everyone was fine and screaming away at me for their morning snack.....Music to my ears if you know what I mean.
    I believe there was an angel out last night looking after them, I really do.
    Our property is kind of in the back woods and we have an abundance of racoons, owls, opossoms, foxs...How in the world did they not get into the coop I will never know. I thank my lucky stars that last night was truly guarded by someone.
    Just a reminder folks to check your latches every night. I'm really happy today.
    Thanks for listening.
    Ray

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Ray, I DO believe in MIRACLES! [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    So glad to hear that you didn't have to learn the hard way! I know you will never forget to check it again. [​IMG] That is an excellent reminder to all of us. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Happy to hear everyone is fine! If raccoons and other predators are USE to not finding an easy meal, I think they are more likely to just test the situation every once in a while. It's when they learn about easy pickings that they become more routine in their quest for a chicken dinner.

5. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    I know this may sound silly to you but when my Brother died a few years ago, He knew how much I love my animals and I asked him to look after them and chase away unwanted company. I think he listened to me and watches over them.
    One day, I was outside and the chickens were all playing in the yard, There was a silence around me and the feeling that something was wrong came over me. I went to the coop to check on the ducks and there was a racoon in the run. This was in the middle of the day. The ducks were all running into the coop and I just happened to get there in time and scare the racoon off. WOW !!!
    My Brother was warning me....How cool is that ?

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Way cool!

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    That happened to me too last summer. TWICE! Last year, everyone was new. I'd go out and check them many, many times a day. [​IMG] Well, one night I forgot to close the hatch to their run which is not predator proof. I woke up early in the am and remembered I'd left it open. I ran out and was scared at what I'd find... Everyone was fine. All were on their roosts cooing like they're supposed to when they are content. 2nd time DD went to visit them after they were all locked up. She didn't close the door. God was watching our birds. [​IMG]

8. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I do believe in miracles! [​IMG]

I'm so glad you didn't lose anybody!

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    i do belive in them cuz one night when i was away my sister left my rabitt in his pen overnight next morning when i came home he was there i asked why they put out so early and than i relized..

10. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

mmaddie's mom :

Yes, Ray, I DO believe in MIRACLES! [​IMG]

x2! Thank Jesus for his angels!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by