Do you brine your turkey? Share your recipe if you do!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LauraG, Nov 20, 2010.

1. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I love brining, it has changed my life!!

ok not really, but it makes such a difference.

I usually just brine with Kosher salt & water for 12 hours.

What do you all use for brine and how long?

2. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
  3. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I always brine my turkey for Thanksgiving. Usually 1/2 cup kosher or smoked salt and 1/2 cup white or brown sugar per gallon of water used....should taste like sweet seawater.

The seasonings are a personal preference. Mine usually includes, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, bay leaves, pickling spice, small can of chipotle peppers and the liquid in the can, a bit of olive oil, and whatever looks good to throw in. You could go more to the sweet side with ginger, pumpkin pie spice, apple cider, etc, up to your creativity. I am sure you could do a search on the internet and find tons of recipes, I have just been doing it for the past 15 years and have learned as long as the proper salt to sugar ration is used then just add whatever seasoning you like. [​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, glad you started this post! I'm going to brine my heritage turkey for the first time this year. I'm wondering how to do it? Someone told me about brining 'bags'. Is that better? What do you actually do the brining in? I don't have a pot big enough, and would rather not have to go buy a pot just for this purpose.

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Just use a tub or something that is clean and can hold it. You can get a storage container at walmart for $5.

6. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG]

Just something non reactive AND large enough to hold your bird completely submerged...since I have a turkey fryer I usually just use the kettle itself to brine in. My biggest challenge is finding room in the fridge to store it during brining.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the suggestions. If you've never done this before, you just don't have the right giant sized pot! I'll look around for one today.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have a 5 gallon bucket with Mr. Gobbles name on it!

The Brine:
    Heat in stock pot 6 cups of water
    1 cup kosher salt
    2 cups of sugar
    4 fresh branches of rosemary
    4 bay leaves

When that has dissolved add to bucket w/ 4 cups of cold water & 4 cups of ice. As soon as that's nice and cool add the turkey and up to 6 quarts of water more. It should just cover your turkey (which may need to be held down with a plate and heavy crock pot or weight).

I do my brine for up to 48 hours before.

9. fairie

fairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SO need some details on temperature. Does the turkey and the brine need to remain under 40 (4degrees) the whole time of brine-ing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by