Do you buy foods (treats) especially for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sreihart, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

How many of you buy food items with your chickens in mind? I'm finding myself buying things that I normally don't buy or buy more than I used to since I've gotten my chickens. [​IMG] I bought a watermelon because I knew they would love it during the hot spell we've had and that it would keep them hydrated. I've also bought seedless grapes that I freeze to give them and now I'm buying plain yogurt! You'd think that I was spoiling my grandkids. I'm curious to see how many of you do the same thing, or am I just weird? [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Mostly what I buy extra is cottage cheese...it has both protein and calcium and they love it! Not as much as fresh peaches, though, which I buy for me! They get the peelings and whatever is left on the seed. Now whenever I come out the door, they come a running to see what I have! Makes it easy to get them to go back into their run if I need to shut them up earlier than their usual bedtime.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Not weird in my book...[​IMG] I buy/plant/grow things with the chickens in mind. I will freeze some berries especially for the girls for winter treats, same with some veggies. I also buy different types of melon for them during summer, it helps to keep them hydrated, cool and happy [​IMG]. I planted more kale and chard and some blueberries for the girls plus extra squash, cucumbers and zucchini. I also planted more native wild and barren strawberries as groundcover, the girls love the berries!!!!! I also started raising mealworms - yuck!!! But I have geckos too. I used to buy the mealworms for the geckos but the chickens love them too and it is less expensive to raise them in the workshop in the basement. Now geckos and chooks have their 'homegrown' mealworms. During the summer it's not that important for the girls but winter in WI is long, lots of snow and no bugs to munch on. That's when the mealworms are especially appreciated.....

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I not only buy things for them...I bake for them... [​IMG]

Sometimes on cold mornings I will whip up some hot oatmeal too.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I haven't yet, but I found myself thinking about HOW I prepare veggies...like "If I roast these with olive oil and balsamic can I give the leftovers to the birds?"

6. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I'm one of the pathetic ones, I shop for my girls. Every week I buy them heads of cabbage, bunches of spinach, apples, carrots, mellons of all kinds... I could go on and on.

I have also started a lettuce garden just for them *sigh*

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You're not weird at all! I buy my girls, yogurt, different kinds of greens, fruits, meal worms which seem like by the tons! My kids say I feed the girls better then I feed them! [​IMG]
    I even give them baby food in their yogurt, with flax seed. They also love me to cook them up oatmeal with cinnamon in it! Always looking for things to get for them!!

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I will shop the sale rack for my birds but i will not pay full price for it

9. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Corn. I always used to buy frozen bags of corn for my family. It was simpler and faster to cook. But since I have chickens, I always buy corn on the cob so that I can cut the kernals off the cob and give the cob to the chickens. They don't miss a single kernal cell. I also buy them bags of grapes.

10. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I buy extra fruit just so they can have some too. I bought bluberry yogurt just for them. oh man was that a big hit!!!!! I put grapes in water and froze them for a icy treat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by