Do you candle eggs under your broodies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Curiousity gets the best of me, even though i probably need to leave them alone...i've only candled twice, but are you supposed to? Thks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I do. Although I've yet to have a bad one pop or anything under a broody, I do it so that I don't have the killing anticipation of waiting for that dud to hatch on day 23. [​IMG]

Although I think I'll wear extra thick gloves when my Shamos go broody. . . . [​IMG] Last time I candled eggs under a Thai Gamehen, I got bloody hands.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, it's too crowded and dusty under there. I take the eggs out and candle 'em.

I have only candled eggs from under a broody hen ONCE, the very first broody, just because I was afraid she wasn't sitting on anything that would hatch. However, I was just as new at incubating as was she, and I didn't know what I should see, anyway.

Since then, I only reach under to count them, and if there are more than she started with, then I pull out the eggs to find the ones I marked, and remove the extras she's gathered. Daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by