Do you clip wings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kplchicken, Aug 8, 2007.

1. kplchicken

kplchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    I have three two month old chickens. They are my first. At times when we are in the yard with them we let them out of their coop. Should I be concerned about clipping their wings?

Thanks

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I wouldn't personally ever clip their wings. But my circumstances are different than most. Mine free range and they need those wings/feathers to take flight if need be.

3. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I probably will; at least one wing, which is, I understand, all you really need to clip to keep them from flying away.

I live in a suburb so I can't have them flying over the fence to the neighbor's house.

4. kplchicken

kplchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Well I don't know. I live in the city and have neighbors yards on the other side of my 6 foot wall. And the neighbors have 6 dogs- probably all of which would eat my chickens. There are however, no predators in my yard and I only let them out when we are watching them. Given that- what is your opinion?

Thanks again.

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i probably SHOULD clip my EE's wings. she flys 5 ft into the air, which was (had to extend) the height of my chicken wire fencing. think im exaggerating? im not. i wont clip her wings though. she seems too happy.

6. 2chicks

2chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    I clip mine...they were flying over the 6ft fences here and the neighbor's dog thought they looked like lunch!

7. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    I think of clipping wings as taking the claws off a cat. It has its purpose but when they face a predator you just about killed them from the get go. A declawed cat has a hell of a time getting away from a dog if it can't climb. Birds need to be able to fly even if only a couple feet to get out of reach at times...

Bubba

8. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:we clip my parrots wings, and also, our (now 1) cat, is declawed, but is indoors. she was tearing up the furniture. and my parrot pedro? hes a little sh*t when we let his wings grow out for a while [​IMG] he flys everywhere and is a little brat. it really isnt that cruel unless they are unprotected outdoor animals.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We thought about wing clipping our Banties, since atleast three quarters of them are good flyers. Can't and wont go that route as I'd rather have them be able to escape a predator as opposed to them becoming prey to something.

Our landlady has a mini farm behind ours and she has many losses to racoons, opossums, skunks and her grandchildren (in their 30's plus and they are a thieving bunch of scoundrels). We have locks on on any coop door because of her grandkids.

We tried to do a greenhouse business with her son, only to have one of his oldest of the kids steal several flats of greens from the place. If they'll steal cabbage flats, I'm sure they'd LOVE our Banties! [​IMG]

It's just my opinion....[​IMG]

10. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    i clipped my younger Americanas i thought they were going to get hurt!

this is definitely a personal choice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by