Do you close the door to the run everynight?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vjbakke, Mar 29, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Our chickens will have to stay in their coop or run at all times. I know they will return to the coop at night. Will I have to close the door that opens into their run every night and open it every morning? We live in the city and I think dogs may be our largest predator to worry about. In the winter we plan on keeping them in the coop more. ( we're in MN)

Thanks

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I let mine out to free range every afternoon. As soon as they go to bed I close both doors. The coop and the run!! No sense in making it easier for any predator.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'd be surprised at the predators you have that roam at night. Most cities have possums, rats, mice and raccoons, not to mention coyotes and an occasional fox. I would close that door every night without fail, even if I lived in the city.

4. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I closed my coop every night but one. We had a horrible wind storm and it blew our run over (it was pvc, now it is 2x4's) and dogs or something got into the coop and killed my favorite 3 month old barred rock pullet Penny as well as 3 EE chicks. Broke my heart. I got in late and my mom put the other chicks up but thought these would be fine.

Now we close them every single night. Even thought we have a better run. (We are in the city too.)

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Its easy to be safe; close it every night...

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

When the sun sets, the door gets shut, the girls are safe, and I can sleep soundly. [​IMG]

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If I am going to be available to let them out early in the morning (which is most of the time) I will close both doors. It makes me feel as if I am doing all I can to protect my flock. If I know that I may not be able to go out first thing, I will leave the pop door open (into the secured run) so that they can have run of that until they are let out to free range. I think that the inside coop is more secure than the open, covered run because the walls are more solid. BUT, the outside, covered run has withstood two large dog attacks with not one fatality. I just hate, hate, hate losing my birds and especially if I could have done something simple to avoid it. All of my losses have occured during the day, and all the failed attempts have happened at night with my girls locked in for the night.

8. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes

9. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:yes I do and I think it keeps them safer

10. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN