Do you color your hair?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by zippitydooda, Sep 23, 2011.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    I am 52. Growing up, I had reddish-blond hair. As I got older, it started turning auburn. I hit my mid 20's and found some random gray hairs and started coloring it. It went back to strawberry blond and I colored it for years and years. I hit 50 and started thinking about letting it all go gray. So.... I let it grow so the roots were maybe 1/2" long and cut my hair SHORT. It was all gray, and I hated it. I colored it again. For about another year I tossed the idea around about going natural again.

Last January I let the roots grow out again and cut off all the red. Back to the natural gray. I let it grow out and now it is a mixture of gray and auburn. I think I've finally gotten used to it and don't flinch when passing a mirror.

I'm curious how many other people have done this.... or how long do you think people should color their hair?

Also.... what are your reasons for or against using hair dye?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have to say I am blessed. Hitting 50 here in a few weeks and I only need my hands and toes to count the gray hairs. And that is why I color it. The color is close enough to my own hair and hides the few grays I have. I have found that Ferria hair color fades the least, lasts the longest.

I can honestly say that if I ever get completely gray, that is what it will be. Simply because I think women with gray roots an inch long look RIDICULOUS!

Though that probably won't happen. My grandmother died at 80 with few grays hairs. However, we are fat, so no hating on us [​IMG]

3. zippitydooda

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Anybody? [​IMG]

4. zippitydooda

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Your hair sounds like what mine was when I started coloring it. When I let it grow out, I had no idea how gray it would actually be. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the gray, which surprised me. I guess it is OK for a grandma to have gray hair.... you wont find me in the kitchen baking cookies though!

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Women in my family are fat and have gray hair. [​IMG]

Yep turned 51 and have been coloring my hair for a year or so. My natural hair is dishwater blondish and the gray hairs just make it look dirty. I use a dark blond hair color that actually comes out light brown. When my mom went gray her hair looked great. She was a couple of shades darker than me and the grey just sparkled, almost like a 70's frost job.

I may try the Feria color next time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Your hair sounds like what mine was when I started coloring it. When I let it grow out, I had no idea how gray it would actually be. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the gray, which surprised me. I guess it is OK for a grandma to have gray hair.... you wont find me in the kitchen baking cookies though!

I am actually able to let mine grow 2-3 inches before coloring again, because of so few grays. I can live with that.

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I have never dyed my hair.

I would love to do it once, for Halloween with some thing that will wash out quickly.

Mine started out so red it was burgundy almost, then went to white blonde and slowly darker and darker with a red tone. I have no idea what color you would call it now, but people used to ask all the time what the name of the color I bought was.

I have quite a few grays, but my hair is lighter so they are hard to see. If it turns like my moms, it will be gradually starting at the temples and by 80 it should be good and white. I am kind of looking forward to the more solid gray/white.

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I used to all over color, all the time and did from the time I was in my teens, almost 50 , getting more grey. Now I prefer Highlights and Low Lights. The Low Lights are close to my natural light brown color and highlights are really blonde. It looks much better and more natural while still covering grey.
    I can go 2 months plus in between.

9. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I dye my hair every couple of months, not because I have grey hair or anything, but I hate being blonde.
    So it's black. [​IMG]

I look way better with dark hair anyways.

10. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    got no hair!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by