DO YOU COUNT FROM THE DAY YOU SET OR 24 hours later?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I've been told by several people that they count the day they set as day 1 not 24 hours later as day 1. Just curious since Lockdown time is coming up soon.

2. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i think that is a very good and reasonable question.

3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    It depends on if you set in the morning. If it's afternoon when I set, I count the next day as day 1. I also don't "lockdown" on day 18---but wait for the first chick to pip and then lockdown. That way the eggs lose the appropriate weight and you don't have hatches that are too wet with complications like drowning in the shell.

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

if you set in the morning you count that as day one otherwise I count the next day as day one

5. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:very interesting about lockdown. good to think outside the ............... shell.

6. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I got it from Pete55 on his tread about weight and humidity. VERY interesting read. I really think it saved some little chicks butts. If I had locked down on day 18 like normal, they wouldn't have lost enough weight/fluid and I really feel I would not have gotten as good of a hatch as I did.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

I've shared this a million times, but I think everyone should give it a read. It makes perfect sense.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When you put the eggs in the bator you have zero development. After 24 hours, you have 24 hours, or one day, of development. So day one is one full day after you have put them in the incubator. It doesn't really matter so much for when you put them in lockdown, as a day early or a day late won't really matter, but it does help to keep your nerves steady come hatch time. But if you count the day you put them in as day 1, you'll be expecting them to hatch out a day earlier than they should, and you'll be worrying that they're late, or dead, when they're actually fine and just not quite ready...

A good way to remember it is like this: They should hatch on the same day of the week as the day you put them in.
    So if you set them on a Tuesday, then day 21, the day they should hatch, will also be a Tuesday.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    A "day" a 24 hour period and you don't count the day until after it is completed.

9. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    HEre is MY personal rule...If I set the eggs before noon I count that day as day 1. If I set the eggs after noon then I coudnt the next day as day 1.

10. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Thank you for all the great information! It's very helpful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by