Do you deliberately scare your chicks?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Goose and Fig, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I do! I have never gotten over the way they sleep like they're dead. It totally freaks me out. Every time I walk by the brooder and they're doing it, I sneak up and yell "baby chickens!!!!" so they all pop up and run around.

I hope I'm not being mean by doing it. Almost all my birds grow up to be ridiculously friendly. [​IMG]

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    It sounds so wrong and super mean.... But, [​IMG]

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I personally don't need to, my kids do that more than enough LOL.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I thought my entire flock had died today - I turned on the hose that is in the coop with the wide sprayer on it. They ALL jumped up. [​IMG]

5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I love watching chicks run around before they have their wing feathers, They flap the little stubs wildly while they run. It's even better when there's 28 chicks running around like that. It sounds like an earthquake!!!

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Sounds like they are gonna have the ASPCA on speed dial on their little chicken phones! [​IMG]

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Naw, but I do REALLY get a kick out of starling cats... maybe because it's such a challenge to sneak up on one? Maybe because of the way they spaz. I don't know, but my inner mischievous child just can't resist.

[​IMG]

8. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    I often come up behind my polish hen, Hippie Chick, and pet her. Poor dear, it's just to cute when she jumps six inches in the air and turns around.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I never try and scare any animal makes em stress,they do get scared about things but I never do it on purpose.
    Now I do whistle some times in the pens if I think I hear a sneeze,it makes em all stop and be quite so I can hear if there is any sickness.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Never, seems mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by