Do you do name changes?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used to be excellent at determining gender because I had a lot of one breed - brahmas - and they are very easy to sex at a young age. My seramas are pretty easy to sex too. Now I have two new breeds that I'm in love with - cochins and bredas - and it's proving quite difficult.

I have a BYC/personal friend that is an expert on cochins. I had named a cochin pullet Norman when she was still quite young, but Norman quickly became Norma. My friend agreed with me on Philip, but Philip is a cochin frizzle making her harder to sex and she has remained Philip. We were used to calling her that and the name stuck. So far with the newest chicks we have:

A Sou (Sue) a cochin rooster, a Rayne (got that one right) the hen, and a Rita the rooster.

So, do you change the names when the gender turns out to be the opposite of what you guessed or do you leave them the same?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Some men have names traditionally given to females and women have names normally given to males.

Some I am sure about from folks I have known:

Males named Connie, Beverly.
    Females Billy and Joe.

A name is a name, not gender. Once we've called them by that name for a while, it is hard to change it.

Remember " a boy named Sue"?

I thought for sure one of my barred rocks was gonna be a roo, Road Runner. But thankful she turned out female. But after referring too him, he, hey boy for months... even now after 1.5 years I still refer to her as he, unless I stop to think first. I really get strange looks when I mention HE LAID AN EGG! [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I just don't name them - it's easier that way. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh dang. Every bird on this place has a name.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by