Do you eat the cracked eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatkeepers, Aug 7, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    My hens just started laying last weekend and haven't figured out to lay in the nesting boxes yet (I'm hard boiling eggs tonight to put in there to "teach" them that's where the eggs are supposed to go. [​IMG] ). They have been making a "nest" out of the shavings in a corner of the coop and are laying their egg on the wood underneath, which is cracking the egg. I know this must've happened to some of you guys before-- do you eat those cracked eggs or not?
    DH is worried about bacteria (salmonella?) getting in, so we haven't been eating them, but I figured I'd double check with you guys.
    It's a little crack, a bit bigger than a "pip" would be that a chick makes, but not big enough that any of the yolk is running out.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    If the membrane is still intact, and they freshly picked, we eat them. If they are freshly picked, and the membrane is broken, the dogs get them [​IMG]

3. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Cool, thanks. [​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I scramble them and feed'em back to the chickens. [​IMG]

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Its according to how dirty and fresh they are. We eat those that aren't dirty and are fresh picked. If they sat for the "day" with a large crack, I say no.
    Like the idea of feeding it back to them, I could actually cook and feed it back to my little ones. (duh- good thing we don't have cracked eggs all that often!)

6. big_brahmas

big_brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    cracked eggs are broken open and feed raw to our flock. they enjoy both the yolk/white and the shell.

7. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Use a golf ball or something else - if they happen to get into those eggs, and like the taste - they'll eat ALL the eggs, even newly laid.

9. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Uh oh. Ok I"ll do that.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Use a golf ball or something else - if they happen to get into those eggs, and like the taste - they'll eat ALL the eggs, even newly laid.

That's what I was thinking too... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by