Do you eat them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pookiegoldman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Hi guys,
    I have a few broody bantam hens in our quail house, who are setting on a clutch of eggs, (also one is setting some quail eggs for us). The question is, do you or would you eat the eggs that might have been under a broody hen for UP TO a day? Every evening we check under the broody's to see if a fresh one was laid with them, but I'm afraid I've missed a couple. Would you still eat it?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes. If in doubt do a float test. Take a pan of water and place an egg in it. If the egg sinks, then it is fresh and can be used. If the egg floats, then it is old and should be discarded.

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    and when you figure it out, put a pencil mark on the eggs she's brooding, so you'll be able to tell which ones are the one's she's growing! Good luck!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yes, do mark them, but I use a Sharpie -- easier to see, does not fade.

5. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Yes, I've sharpied a ring around them with the date, so I can easily tell which ones are fresh...the only prob. is do I eat them?

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If they are only a day old, go for it. You can always crack them into a bowl first to be sure they are good before putting them into a recipe or your frying pan.

7. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I've found a couple of "misplaced" eggs. If they float, we eat them!

8. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I've found a couple of "misplaced" eggs. If they float, we eat them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by