Do you eat your dog too?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chickenma, Nov 29, 2008.

1. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My neighbours daughter was sad about the fact we eat our chickens.
    I ask her if she ate chicken and she said yes. I ask her if she knows were that chicken came from and told her the story I tell my kids. Our chickens are not pets they are food. Humprhey our dog is a pet, not food.
    She said that she didn't think of were the chicken in the store came from and that she didn't think people culled it so she could eat it. It was actually the same as what we did.. The only different is we do it our self and we know what we feed our chickens.
    I know a lot of kids don't know were the chicken they like to eat came from and that they are culled so we can eat them.
    After I told her this story she wasn't sad anymore and understand it.
    Before she went playing with my girls. She came back and said:
    Mrs. ...... would you eat Humphrey? LOL [​IMG]
    She was serious and wanted to ask this last Question.
    I told her No he is a pet, no food.
    I ask her if she really taught if we would eat Humphrey and she said NO, but I wanted to know for sure!
    I love my neigbours, they bring a lot of joy in our lifes.
    These are the moments I'm thankfull for. [​IMG]

We are blessed with our chickens. We love and feed them and treat them with respect.
    And in return they love us back and feed us too. Thank you God [​IMG]

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Chickens and children......what a combination! Such a cute story. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There are a few neighbor dogs I wouldn't mind bbqing. It would at least shut them up!!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I haven't wok'd my dog lately![​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Dude [​IMG]

6. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    I had an interesting conversation recently with my neigbor's five-year-old daughter. She came up to the fence and said, "Miss Monique, Miss Monique, what happened to your white goat?"

Well, she was an infant when our rescued white goat died in the night. So I decided to play dumb. (It is very refreshing to have neighbors with polite kids!)

I said, "We don't have a white goat. We have a black goat and a grey goat. They are right there, in the field."

She said, "No, your WHITE goat! What happened to your WHITE goat?"

This went back and forth a few more times. Finally, in frustration, she said, "Well, since you forgot, I will tell you. Your white goat ate a plant and died and you buried her in the field. What I want to know is, was she already under the ground when you found her?"

This kid is five....my mouth was hanging open, and I was trying SO hard not to laugh! I was trapped, had to tell her the truth now. So I told her that I came out to feed everyone in the morning, and Rose had died, so Mr. Peter and I buried her in the field in the rain, and Mr. Peter cried.

This made her eyes very wide....."MR. PETER CRIED?!?!?"

"Yup, Mr. Peter cried. Me, too."

She walked away, shaking her head in disbelief. "Mr. Peter cried like a BIG BABY!" [​IMG]

Had a conversation with her mom the next day.....

7. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL

NEVER underestimate a 5 year old

9. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I have to admit when I read the title to this thread, I thought it was about a member chastising us who do cull and eat our flock. As in "How dare you, would you eat your dog too?" [​IMG]
    So I thought I'd read it to see how many of us threw chicken butter at the OP. [​IMG] But it totally wasn't like that.
    Guess I was lookin' for a fight [​IMG] Great thread...I love kids...they keep us honest. [​IMG]

10. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Me too on the poster. Like I am sitting here thinking--How could eating a chicken be in the same category as eating your dog? Boy was I not going to respond to that one. O well, it turned out to be a funny kid story. Never underestimate a kindergartener (you don't know what they are saying and they WANT you to) or a middle schooler (you don't know what they are saying they DON'T WANT you to). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by